Posted by Alison on Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 7:15pm.
Given Equation AX + BY + C = 0, which following conditions would be true for graph of line to have a negative slope and a postive y-intercept?
A. A>0, B>0, C>0
B. A>0, B<0, C>0
C. A>0, B>0, C<0
D. A>0, B<0, C<0
I cant figure this out!
- MATH EMERGENCY - helper, Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 7:28pm
In this form
Ax + By + C = 0
Slope m = -A/B
y-intercept b = -C/B
You are looking for, a negative slope
Slope m = -A/B
And, a positive y-intercept
Ax + By - C = 0
Can you answer now?
- MATH EMERGENCY - Alison, Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 8:02pm
I still dont get it:\
Is C the y-intercept? or B?
How do I know which one is greater or less? This is mind twisting, i dont get it
- MATH EMERGENCY - bobpursley, Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 8:05pm
I would change it to slope intercept form
y-a/b x -c/b
so for a negative coefficent of x, both a,b have to be positive, or both have to be negative. A positive y intercept means that c or b has to be negative, but not both.
- MATH EMERGENCY - Alison, Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 8:08pm
Ok. That kind of makes sense.
- MATH EMERGENCY - Henry, Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 3:02pm
To have a negative slope and positive
y-int, A and B must have the same sign
, C must have the opposite sign.
Therefore, the answer is C.
If the Eq was in this form:
AX + BY = C; A, B, and C must have the
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math/algebra1a - write the equation of the line which has y-intercept (0,5) and ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Algebra - graph the equation x-3=y (where do I plot the points?) find the ...
- Slopes - Given y = 2x – 4, choose the statement that accurately describes this ...
- math - Can someone please check my work?? 16. The bigger the number the slope is...
- My Daughter Stacy needs help in math plz help! - You have to find the x and y ...
- algebra - 1. Given the line with the equation : a) Find at least three ordered ...
- math, correction - Write the equation of the line with given slope and y-...
- Math/ Algebra - Find the slope-intercept equation of the line that satisfies the...
- math slope interceot - write an equation in slope-intercept formof the line ...