Posted by John on Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 10:44am.
What is the force of gravity at 220 miles above Earth's surface? Calculate how much of a g force the astronauts are actually experiencing. The solution for this math problem is a percentage.
You can calculate it using the Algebraic equation: gr = R2/r2 x g
R = the radius of the planet
r = the distance from the center of mass of the planet to the center of mass of the object in orbit
g = the gravitational attraction of the planet on objects on its surface
gr = the gravitational attraction of the planet as felt on the less massive object
- Physics - drwls, Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 11:33am
Your definition of gr is incorrect. The mass of the object stays the same but the value of the acceleration decreases with altitude.
All you have to do is apply the formula
gr = (R^2/r^2) * g
The value of r 220 miles above the earth's surface is
r = 220 + R, where
R = 3959 miles
All you have to do is calculate the factor
(R/r)^2 = (3959/4179)^2
They want you to express the answer as a percent reduction from 1.000
You cannot actually calculate a force since you were not given a mass value.
- Physics - bumble, Monday, January 24, 2011 at 5:18pm
looks like someone is cheating on their NASA HAS lesson 3 assignment
- Physics - BobSheldon, Monday, January 24, 2011 at 10:04pm
hey Bumble, no idea what youre talking about, but if he is cheating on an assignment, why are you on this site looking at his answer? by default, your accusation implies that you also cheated on your homework. FAIL!
- Physics - BobSheldon, Monday, January 24, 2011 at 10:10pm
And the answer is still wrong, you have the wrong formula and forgot 9.81 as surface grav.
Gr=R^2/R^2 * G
Gr= (6378^2/6598^2) *9.81
Gr= 9 . 166 708 367
IDK about the percent thing
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- space - What is the force of gravity at 220 miles above Earth's surface? ...
- Physics - Calculate the percentage of Earth’s gravitational force on the ISS ...
- physics - Calculate Earth’s gravitational force on the Shuttle astronauts while ...
- physics - Calculate the percentage of Earth’s gravitational force on the ISS ...
- Physics - Many people mistakenly believe that the astronauts that orbit the ...
- Grade 12 Physics - A rocket ship is moving away from the earth after having been...
- Physics - Many people mistakenly believe that the astronauts who orbit the Earth...
- Math, Physics - Calculate Earth's gravitational force on the ISS astronauts ...
- Physics - Calculate the force of gravity on a spacecraft 19200 km (3 earth radii...
- Physics - When the space shuttle (mass of the shuttle = 2 x10^6 kg) was at the ...