Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 10:24pm.
A students on a balcony uses a slingshot to shoots rock straight up
at 29.4 m/s. If the rock takes 8.0 s seconds to hit the ground below the balcony, how high is the balcony above the ground?
- physics - Henry, Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 5:08pm
The velocity 0f the rock is zero at its' max. height:
Vf = Vo + gt = 0,
29.4 - 9.8t = 0,
-9.8t = -29.4,
t = -29.4 / -9.8 = 3s to reach max height
Time in flight = 8s.
Fall time = 8 - 3 = 5s,
d = 0*5 + 0.5*9.8*5^2,
d = 0 + 122.5 = 122.5m to gnd.
h = 122.5 - 44.1 = 78.4m.
d = 88.2 - 44.1 = 44.1m up.
- physics - Henry, Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 5:22pm
d (up) = Vo*t + 0.5*gt^2,
d (up) = 29.4*3 + 0.5*(-9.8)3^2,
d (up) = 88.2 - 44.1 = 44.1m.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - 1.You are stuck on a cliff and want to know how far to the bottom. You...
- Physics - Kenny Klutz drops his physics book off his aunt's high rise balcony. ...
- Physics - Galileo threw a large rock upward from a tower balcony at an angle of ...
- Physics - A rock is thrown vertically from the edge of a cliff that is 500 ft ...
- Physics - An astronaut is stranded on another planet with UNKNOWN GRAVITY. He ...
- physics 1 - An astronaut is stranded on another planet with UNKNOWN GRAVITY. He ...
- physics please help - A hoodlum throws a rock straight down from the roof of a ...
- Physics - You shoot a rock with a wrist-rocket straight up, it takes 6 seconds ...
- physics - a slingshot launches a rock straight upward at 25 m/s, how high does ...
- Physics - A rock is thrown from on a cliff with the velocity of 15 m/s at an ...