Posted by NEED HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 5:31pm.
rectangle ABCD is similar to rectangle wxyz , with AB corresponding to wx. if AB=24,BC=30 and wx=16 , what is the area of the rectangle wxyz
MATH - Reiny, Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 5:58pm
the ratio of areas of similar figures is proportional to the square of their corresponding sides
area of ABCD = 24(30) = 720
WXYZ/720 = 24^2/16^2
solve for WXYZ
MATH - Tyler, Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 6:11pm
The sides should be proportional if they are similar, thus, since AB corresponds with wx, and Ab is 24 while wx is 16, 24/16=1.5 . So ABCD is 1.5 times bigger than wxyz. the other side is 30, CD, is 1.5x bigger than yz, so find that and get the area by multiplying. or u can do a proportion. 24/30=16/x. x=20, which when x by 1.5 is 30
Tyler - MATH - Reiny, Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 8:58pm
the ratio of the areas is NOT 1.5 : 1
it is 24^2 : 16^2 = 9 : 4
the area of the larger is 720 (see above)
so the area of the smaller is 4/9(720) = 320
You yourself found XY to be 20
so the area of the other rectangle is 16(20) = 320
MATH - nat, Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 3:43pm
Rectangle ABCD is similar to rectangle WYYZ.
Uf tge the area of rectangle ABCD is 90 square inches, what is the area of rectangle WXYZ?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - rectangle ABCD is similar to rectangle wxyz , with AB corresponding ...
- Math - A square with a side of 4 has an area that is 80% of rectangle WXYZ. What...
- math - Figure WXYZ is a rectangle with a semicircle added to its base. What is ...
- math - Apply the rule (3x,3y) to the vertices of rectangle ABCD to get rectangle...
- math - There is on large rectangle ABCD, top line is AD and bottom is BC. A line...
- Math - Rectangle ABCD is similar to rectangle EFGH. If rectangle ABCD has sides ...
- Geometry - What is the area of rectangle wxyz with vertices w(0,1),x(3,4),y(-1,8...
- geometry - rectangle a is similar to smaller rectangle b. the scale factor is 5/...
- Math - a.)If ABCD is a parallelogram, then ABCD is (always true, sometimes true...
- math - Rectangle ABCD is 12 inches long and has a perimeter of 54 inches. ...