Posted by jaycab on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 5:16am.
COMMON ION EFFECT
1.) What is the pH of a solution that is 0.30M in HCOOH and 0.52M in HCOOK.
Ka of HCOOH=1.7x10^-4.
2.) Calculate the pH of a buffer system containing 1.0M CH3COOH and 1.0M CH3COONa. Ka of CH3COOH=1.8x10^-5.
chemistry - Dr Russ, Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 6:08am
I notice that your value for Ka in the question is missing units, were these missing in the original question?
Start from the equation for the equilibrium reaction
HCOOH<->H+ + HCOO-
at equilibrium if [H+]=x
0.30-x x x
there is also 0.52M HCOO-
so at equilibrium
0.30-x x x+0.52
You can either solve the quadratic or we can say that if x is small with respect 0.52 abd 0.3, we can rewrite the expression as
and find x
pH is then -log (x/mol litre^-1)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - A. Strong Base 1.) What is the concentration of a solution of KOH ...
- chemistry - You have to prepare a pH 5.00 buffer, and you have the following 0....
- Chemistry - Find the pH of mixture of acids. 0.185 M in HCHO2 and 0.225 M in ...
- Chemistry - calculate the initial concentration of HCOONa you would add to 0.10M...
- chemistry - How many grams of potassium formate, KHCOO, must be added to 500 mL ...
- chem 2 - a buffer is to be prepared by adding solid sodium acetate to 0.10M ...
- chemistry - What mass of solid sodium formate (of MW 68.01) must be added to 115...
- ap chemistry - What mass of solid sodium formate (of MW 68.01)must be added to ...
- Chemistry - How many grams of formic acid, HCOOH, must be added to 0.270L of 0....
- chemistry - How would you prepare a 150.0mL of a 3.50 pH buffer solution using ....