Posted by Tichele on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 10:33pm.
In an experiment, 238 mL of 0.45 molar hydrochloric acid completely reacts with excess iron to produce hydrogen gas and iron (III) chloride. What volume will the hydrogen gas occupy if it is collected over water at 35 degrees Celsius and 735 torr? The vapor pressure of water at 35 degrees Celsius is 42 mm Hg.
My work so far:
6HCl(aq) + 2Fe(s) ---> 3H2(g) + 2FeCl3(s)
Total pressure= Pressure of H2 + Pressure of H20
Solve for Pressure of H2:
Pressure of H2=Total pressure - Pressure of H20
Total Pressure= 735 torr X (1 atm/760 torr)=0.967 atm
Pressure of the water= 42mm Hg X (1atm/760 torr)=0.055atm
So...Pressure of H2= 0.967atm-0.055atm=0.912atm
I'm lost. I have no idea where to go next from here. Any help is greatly appreciated!
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 10:57pm
You've done the hard part.
How much HCl did you start with? M x L = ??
Now convert moles HCl to moles H2 gas using the coefficients in the balanced equation.
moles HCl x (x moles H2/y moles HCl) = zz
Then substitute for n in PV = nRT and solve for volume. Your calculation for P is correct although I think you went the long way around the barn to get there. I would have done this.
P = 735-42 = xx mm
Then xxmm/760 = 0.912 atm.
- Chemistry - Tichele, Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 6:49am
Thank you so much! I was really stuck and my brain went completely blank.
- Chemistry - juan, Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 10:24am
912 mm Hg to standard atmosphere
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry 101 - Iron reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce iron (2) chloride ...
- Chemistry Balancing Equations - I really need help with balancing these ...
- chemistry - write a net ionic equation for the following: 1)Iron (III) chloride ...
- Chemistry Balancing Equations - Can you please tell me if these are correct? 1. ...
- Are my answers correct? Chem - I really need help with balancing these equations...
- Chemistry - A mixture of chromium and zinc weighing .362 g was reacted with an ...
- chemistry - How many grams of iron are needed to produce 42.8 L of hydrogen gas ...
- chemistry - a chemist reacts 8.85g or iron with an excess oh hydrogen chloride ...
- Chemistry - A 0.0677g sample of magnesium metal reacted with excess hydrochloric...
- Chemistry 171 Lab - Suppose we collect hydrogen gas, H2(g), over water at 21...