Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 10:18pm.
Lines A and B are perpendicular and have the same x-intercept. The equation of line A
is x + 2y - 4 = 0 . Determine the y-intercept of line B.
This is the work that I did:
x + 2y - 4 = 0
x+2y = 4
2y = -x+4
divide both sides by 2
and I got -1/2x+2
I thought that the answer would be -2 maybe but its -8. How is it -8?
- ALGEBRA - helper, Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 11:32pm
x + 2y - 4 = 0
x + 2y = 4
to find x-intercept, y = 0
x + 2(0) = 4
x = 4
x-intercept = (4.0)
slope intercept form (which you got right above) y = mx + b
for Line A is y = -1/2 x + 2
slope m = -1/2
If two lines are perpendicular, the slope of one is the negative reciprocal of the slope of the other.
Slope of Line B = ?
Line B through point (4,0)(line A and B have the same x-intercept)
To write equation of Line B
plug slope m in y = mx + b, and use point (4,0) to solve for b, which is the y-intercept.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - lines a and b are perpendicular and have the same x-intercept. The ...
- Math - Lines A and B are perpendicular and have the same x-intercept. The ...
- math - parallel and perpendicular lines Determine an equation of each of the ...
- ALgebra 1 - 4. Write the equation of a line whose slope is 6 and whose y ...
- math - How do I write one equations in slope-intercept form, and three other ...
- Algebra - 1.Write the equation of a line that is perpendicular to the given line...
- Math -Quadratics Help! - I have a test tomorrow with a few sample questions that...
- Math - Quadratics & Analytical Geometry - I have a test tomorrow with a few ...
- Mathematics - Equations of Lines in 3D - a) Determine if the line [x,y,z] = [4,1...
- math/algebra1a - write the equation of the line which has y-intercept (0,5) and ...