Posted by Kathryn on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 4:25pm.
Which of the following are LAWS according to the Scientific Method? It is possible for more than one answer.
a. The volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure.
b. A solid has a mass of 100.0 grams and a volume of 11.1 mL.
c. When a piece of magnesium burns in air, the process releases heat.
d. When isopropyl alcohol is heated, it vaporizes.
e. All gases are composed of very small particles.
I believe all of the answers except B is correct and that is because B is an observation. Is this correct?
- Chemistry--Quick Question - Kathryn, Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 4:50pm
Okay, I take that back. I think the correct answer(s) would be A, C, and D.
I don't think the answer is B because that is an observation and I don't think the answer is E because that is a theory.
- Chemistry--Quick Question - DrBob222, Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 4:51pm
I agree with b.
I think c is an observation.
I think d is an observation.
I don't think e is a law nor is it an observation. I believe e is a theory although most of the hypotheses Dalton made in his 1866 (I'm not sure of the date but it was in the 1800s) proclamation of atomic theory (actually an atomic model) have stood the test of time. It has been modified through the ages. Some may call that, with its modifications, a law but I still call it a theory.
- Chemistry--Quick Question - Kathryn, Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 4:54pm
Just clarifying but C would be an observation because you would be able to feel/observe the heat coming off of it as it reacts, right?
- Chemistry--Quick Question - Jane, Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 10:20pm
I have the same question for class!
correct answers are a,c,d?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - According to Boyle, pressure and volume of a confined gas are ____ ...
- MATH PLEASE HELP! - According to Boyle's law, the pressure p of a compressed gas...
- algebra - when the temperature stays the same, the volume of the gas is ...
- Physics - A cylinder with a valve at the bottom is filled with an ideal gas. The...
- Chemistry Combined Gas Law - Hi so im reviewing or our long test tomorrow on ...
- Physics - According to Boyle's law, the volume V of a gas at a constant ...
- Chemistry - How would I graph this: (I dont understand the whole with [1/volume...
- chemistry - Air consits of 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen and 1% argon by volume. ...
- Science - When the number of gas particles in a container with constant volume ...
- Chemistry - I just have a quick question for you. Do I use Charles' Law to solve...