Posted by Kelly on Monday, January 17, 2011 at 9:23pm.
2 isosceles triangles have the same height. The slopes of the sides of triangle A are double the
slopes of the corresponding sides of triangle B. How do the lengths of their bases compare?
A. The base of A is quadruple that of B. The base of A is double that of B.
C. The base of A is half that of B.
D. The base of A is one quarter that of B.
I thought it would be B, but its A, how?
math helper plese - Reiny, Monday, January 17, 2011 at 10:01pm
let the height of both triangles be h
let the base of triangle A be 2x
let the base of triangle B be 2y
slope of side of A = h/x
slope of side of B = h/x
but h/x = 2 (h/y
1/x = 2/y
y = 2x
x = (1/2)y ----> base of A is half that of B
math helper plese - Louise, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 2:17am
I still dont' get how it the base is half the size?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Triangles math - I want to confirm if I understood . Problem states : Draw a ...
- math - The ratio of the corresponding sides of two similar triangles is 3:2. The...
- Math - If all of the following triangles have the same perimeter, which has the ...
- isosceles triangle - An isosceles triangle is a triangle that has two equal ...
- geometry - The perimeter of an isosceles triangle is 37 in. The lengths of the ...
- Math - Two isosceles triangles have perimeters of 8 and 15 centimeters, ...
- geometry triangles - The sides of a triangle are 8,15 and 18 the shortest side ...
- maths - the perimeter of an isosceles triangle is 28cm with sides 4y = 6y-2x+1 ...
- MATH URGENT! - Ok I don't understand how to find similar figures when using ...
- math - the perimeter of isosceles triangle is 70 d. of the length of a leg of ...