Posted by Jad on Sunday, January 16, 2011 at 1:09am.
---I asked this question
Solve the following right triangles:
a. a=117 ft, b=16.35 ft
b. B=8 degrees 29',and a=32.8 ft
Reiny was kind enough to post this reply.
"solving" a triangle involves finding all missing sides and angles, so in
a) you found the sides, but still no angle.
tan B = 16.35/117 = 0.13974
angle B = 7.96°
subtract from 90° to find angle A
b) angle B = 8° 29' = (8+29/60)° = 8.48333°
tan 8.48333° = b/32.8
now use Pythagoras to find the third side, and subtract angle B from 90 to get angle A
---but i am still having trouble with understanding the question and how the answers she posted were found .If u can explain to me in more details that would be great
- trigonometry - MathMate, Sunday, January 16, 2011 at 8:48am
The best tool to solve trigonometry and geometry problems is to draw a diagram. Unless you are very capable of drawing images in your mind, it is always a good idea to draw the figure, label it with all the given information and add more information as you go along.
This practice will not only help you solve the current problem, but you will, in time, see a pattern that will help you solve future problems.
Try to draw a right triangle, and label all the information on the figure. Proceed to solve as Reiny suggested. You will have no problem understanding Reiny's solution.
If you have problems creating the figures, see:
- correction - MathMate, Sunday, January 16, 2011 at 8:49am
There is a mistake in the figure for part a. TanB=... should read tan-1....
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- trigonometry - Solve the following right triangles: a. a=117 ft, b=16.35 ft b. B...
- trigonometry - Umm..Im having trouble with solving word problems that involves ...
- Math - Geometry - Two right triangles are touching at the tips. The left ...
- trigonometry - draw a triangle that maps their route. label the lengths and ...
- Trig - Does this result in no triangle, 1 or 2 triangles? If so, then solve. B= ...
- Pre-Calculus follow up question Reiny - Determine the number of triangles that ...
- Precalc/Triangles - Draw and solve any triangles satisfying alpha = 29 degrees a...
- math-triangles - finding the hypotenuse for triangles with only one measure of 7...
- Math(trigonometry) - Data: á = 32 degrees, side a = 2.5 feet and side b = 4 feet...
- Math (triangles) - Given b=48, A=36 degrees find the remaining parts of the ...