Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 5:33pm.
The drawing shows a uniform electric field that points in the negative y direction; the magnitude of the field is 4540 N/C. Determine the electric potential difference the following points
VB − VA between points A and B
VC − VB between points B and C
VA − VC between points C and A
the picture is a triangle,the x axis is 6cm,the y axis is 8cm, and the hypothenus is 10
physics - bobpursley, Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 5:36pm
Well, I have no idea of the picture. But E is a vector, and displacement is a vector.
Voltage= abs E * abs d which is the magnitude of E times the magnitude of distance from the points * cosine Theta where Theta is the angle between E and the displacement vector.
physics - OSUstudent, Monday, January 17, 2011 at 4:21pm
I had this question too- think abstractly and it's pretty easy.
In general: E = delta V/ delta s
Vb-Va = 0 (the points are at the same location in terms of the equipotential surface)
Vc-Vb = E* delta s (or the distance between the points)
so 4540*0.08m = 363 V
Va-Vc: a is the same distance from c as b when thinking in therms of the surface (0.08m) however, your answer will have the opposite sign because you are traveling in the opposite direction of the electric field.
so 4540*0.08m = -363 V
physics - Anonymous, Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 7:21pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- PHYSICS URGENT - 2. A point charge of +1.0 µC is moved in the direction of an ...
- physics (electric field) - The drawing shows the potential at five points on a ...
- Physics - 3 There are two charges +Q and –Q/2 that locate at two positions with ...
- Physics - A uniform electric field with a magnitude of 6100 V m−1 points ...
- Physics quick help please - 6. If 4.0 × 1018 J of work done on a point charge ...
- physics - A force of 0.053 N is required to move a charge of 36 µ a distance of ...
- Physics - Two positive charges of magnitude q are each a distance d from the ...
- physics - The electric field at the point x = 5.00cm and y = 0 points in the ...
- Physics - A uniform electric field of magnitude 370 N/C pointing in the positive...
- physics - A uniform electric field of magnitude 320 V/m is directed in the ...