Posted by lorie on Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 12:56pm.
Sally works at a grocery store. In one week she earned $390 for working 47 hours, of which 7 hours were overtime. The next week she earned $416 for working 50 hours, of which 8 hours were overtime. What is Sally's HOURLY OVERTIME rate in dollars per hour? This question was answered as $8, but I don't think that can be right. Please help.
- algebra - helper, Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 2:14pm
I made the correction below
let her regular rate be $x per hour
let her overtime rate be $y per hour
first week: 40x + 7y = 390
2nd week: 42x + 8y = 416
1st equat x 8 ---> 320x +56y = 3120
2nd equt x 7 ---> 294x + 56y = 2912
26x = 208
x = 8
substitute x = 8
40x + 7y = 390
40(8) + 7y = 390
320 + 7y = 390
7y = 70
y = 10
REINY had a typo, she had y = 8, when it should have been x.
- algebra - Henry, Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 9:09pm
Lorie, check your 1-14,5:01pm post.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - Sally works at a grocery store. In one week she earned $390 for ...
- Algebra - Tim works part-time at a retail store. His salary varies directly by ...
- math - Tim works part-time at a retail store. His salary varies directly by the ...
- algebra - Assume you work at a company where you are paid hourly. You are paid $...
- Math - Assume you work at a company where you are paid hourly. You are paid $8....
- Math (Basic) - "A woman earns 10.00 per hour at her job, but if she works more ...
- math - Julianne earned $296 working at a grocery store last week. She earns $8 ...
- algebra - Jim is paid for overtime when he works more than 40 hours per week. ...
- Math - Jim is paid overtime when he works more than 40 hours of per week. Write ...
- Math Statistics - Czarina is working part time at a pastry shop baking cupcakes...