Posted by Sarah on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 4:21pm.
What are some of the poetic devices used in this poem by Gladys Cardiff?
Bending, I bow my head
And lay my hand upon
Her hair, combing, and think
How women do this for
Each other. My daughter's hair
Curls against the comb,
Wet and fragrant--orange
Parings. Her face downcast,
Is quiet for one so young.
I take her place. Beneath
My mother's hands I feel
The braids drawn up tight
As a piano wire and singing,
Before the oven I hear
The orange coils tick
The early hour before school.
She combed her grandmother Mathilda's hair using A comb made out of bone.
Mathilda rocked her oak-wood
Chair, her face downcast,
Intent on tearing rags
In strips to braid a cotton Rug from bits of orange
And brown. A simple act,
Preparing hair. Something
Women do for each other,
Plaiting the generations.
- Literature - Writeacher, Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 5:12pm
I see lots of imagery, metaphors, and similes in there.
Diction simply refers to word choice; if you think the word choice is unusual or particularly effective, then this one is there.
Look up other terms here:
http://www.answers.com or http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/lit_terms/
Let us know what you discover.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - What is the syntax in,bending, I bow my head and lay my hand upon her ...
- Literature - 15. Which of the following word pairs from the poem "Combing" is ...
- English 10 - What poetic devices were used in the poem "What Was Told, That"? ...
- english help please!! - Which of the following sentences uses the word "diction...
- English - I have to analyze the use of diction and syntax in three authors ...
- Nicola - Hello, I need some help with a few questions about this poem: She was a...
- English-Friendship Poem - I've read through this friendship poem, and now I need...
- english.poem.i am offering this poem - which of the following statements BEST ...
- creative writing - 1. Poetry that is short in length and focuses on feelings ...
- Eng 12 - What's the poetic device for this poem? this is only the other half of ...