Posted by Sammy on Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:02pm.
What is the equation of g(x) if the parent function is f(x) = x^2 and a = 2, h = -5 and k = 7
f(x) = 2(x-5)^2 + 7
F(x) = -3(x+5)^2 + 7
f(x) = 2(x+5)^2 + 7
f(x) = 2(x-5)^2 -7
I think it is 2(x+5)^2 + 7, is that right
- Algebra II - Reiny, Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:08pm
Yes, if you are aiming for the general quadratic in the form
f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k
- Algebra II - drwls, Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:09pm
Since you do not defined what a, h and k are in terms of any function, I have no idea.
- Algebra II - drwls, Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:10pm
Thanks Reiny. I had never seen that general form before
- Algebra II - Reiny, Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:15pm
Some authors call it the "standard" form of a parabola, it displays the vertex (h,k).
A second point on the graph is needed to find a.
- Algebra II-Please clarify one thing for me - Sammy, Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:15pm
Thanks Reiny-I really appreciate it-I get confused about taking the "h" at times
So if they say h= (-5), then in the equation when it is written,it is positive and vice-versa, correct?
- Algebra II - Reiny, Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:17pm
correct, since in the formula you have
for x-(-5) it would become x+5
for x-(+5) it would become x-5
- Algebra II-Thank you - Sammy, Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:21pm
Thanks alot-At least I get one concept!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - What is the parent function of h(x) = -x^2? Is it h(x) = x^2 or h(x) = -x...
- precalculus - State the parent function that must be transformed to create the ...
- Precalculus - Can someone help me with this question? I got the transformation ...
- algebra - Which of the following equation describes the quadratic parent ...
- In Response to Previous Math Question - What parent function describes the set...
- Math, Algebra I - A Parent sets up a bank account with $4000. The bank pays 8% ...
- Integrated Math 1 - A parent function generates a family of functions that are ...
- please help! :( math! - A parent function generates a family of functions that ...
- pre-calculus - I'm trying to describe how the graph is related to the parent ...
- Algebra 2 - For each function, identify the horizontal translation of the parent...