Posted by Erica on Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 9:58pm.
The number of bacteria in a culture is increasing according to the law of exponential growth. There are 125 bacteria in the culture after 2 hours and 350 bacteria after 4 hours.
a) Find the initial population.
b) Write an exponential growth model for the bacteria population. Let t represent time in hours.
c) Use the model to determine the number of bacteria after 8 hours.
d) After how many hours will the bacteria count be 25,000?
- Calc - Reiny, Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:21pm
let the number be n
n = a e^(kt), where a is the initial number and t is the time in hours, k is a constant
case 1, when t=2, n = 125
125 = a e^2k
case 2 , when t = 4, n= 350
350 = a e^4k
divide the two equations
350/125 = a e^4k / (a e^(2k))
2.8 = e^2k
2k = ln 2.8
k = .5148
in first equation,
125 = a e^(2(.5148))
a = 44.64
a) so initially there were 46 bacteria.
b) n = 44.64 e^(.5148t)
c) when t = 8 , n = 44.64 e^(8(.5148)) = appr. 2744
d) 25000 = 44.64 e^(.5148 t)
560.0358 = e^ .5148t
.5148t = ln 560.0358
t = 12.29 hours
- Calc - Doody, Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 12:13pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- College Algebra - The number of bacteria in a certain culture increased from ...
- MATH :) - 3. In Biology, it is found that the bacteria in a certain culture ...
- Calculus (math) - A bacteria culture grows with constant relative growth rate. ...
- Urgent math - population growth model. Can anybody please help me out in trying...
- precalculus - A bacteria culture initially contains 1500 bacteria and doubles ...
- math - The number of bacteria in a culture is modeled by: n(t) = 1330e^(0.42t) (...
- Math - he number of bacteria in a culture is modeled by n(t)=1710e071t (a) The ...
- math - The number of bacteria in a culture is modeled by n(t)=1710e071t (a) The ...
- Precalculus - NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!! A bacteria culture starts with 2000 ...
- math - The bacteria in a certain culture double every 7.5 hours. The culture has...