Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 6:45pm.
the area of a certain rectangle is 288 yd squared. the perimeter is 68 yards. f you double the length and width what will be the area and perimeter of the new rectangle
- math - helper, Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 7:31pm
Area (A) = Lw = 288
Perimeter (P) = 2L + 2w = 68
L = length, w = width
Solve 2L + 2w = 68 for either L or w
I'll choose L
2L + 2w = 68
2L = 68 - 2w
2L = 2(34 - w)
L = 34 - w
Substitute L = 34 - w, for L in
A = Lw = 288
(34 - w)(w) = 288
34w - w^2 = 288
w^2 - 34w + 288 = 0
w = 18, 16
So, this certain rectangle has dimensions of 18 by 16.
you should be able to calculate the area and perimeter of the new rectangle now. (double the length and width and solve the equations)
- math - Ashley, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 5:08pm
r = 2/3t + v, for t
Answer this Question
- Math - The area of a certain rectangle is 288 yd2 the perimeter is 68 yd. if you...
- Math - The area of certain rectangle is 288 yd. the perimeter is 68 yd. if you ...
- MATH - the area of a certain rectangle is 288yd squared. the perimeter is 68yd. ...
- Math - The area of a rectangle is shown below The area of the rectangle is 56 ...
- maths - the length of a rectangle is 3 less than 5 times its width. Write a ...
- Math - Determine the perimeter and area of a rectangle that has a width of 6 ...
- 7th Grade Math - The area of a certain rectangle is 288yd^2.the perimeter is ...
- Math - The first question is this: Helen designs a rectangle with an area of 225...
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...
- area, perimeter - the perimeter of rectangle y is equal to its area. rectangle z...