Posted by julie on Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 1:41am.
a 100- foot cable is cut into two pieces.the first piece is 18 ft longer than the second. how long is each piece
algebra 1 - Kay, Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 9:20am
Total length (given) ie. a+b = 100
a = b + 18
We can rewrite this b = a -18
Now solve it the normal way.
substitute for b in the first equation
a + b = 100
a + a - 18 = 100
2a -18 = 100
2a = 100 + 18
2a = 118
a = 59
To get b:
go to equation and apply value of a in b = a -18
b = 59- 18
ie. b = 41
a + b should be = 100
a= 59 b = 41
59 + 41 = 100 !
Done! Hope this helps.
algebra 1 - Anonymous, Monday, January 25, 2016 at 4:04pm
The answer is 59 ft, 41 ft. X would equal 59 while y would equal 41
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- foundations of algebra - A bolt of cloth 100 yards long is cut into three pieces...
- Math - you have a piece of wood that is 144 inches long. you cut it into three ...
- Algebra - A 180-m wire is cut into three pieces. The third piece is 20 m longer ...
- math - a 17 foot piece of string is cut into two pieces so that the longer piece...
- math - A cable 40 feet long is cut into three pieces so the length of the second...
- algebra - A 28-inch board is to be cut into three pieces so that the ...
- algebra - A 120-foot-long rope is cut into 3 pieces. The first piece of rope is ...
- Math - A ten-foot-long board is cut into three pieces. The second piece is half ...
- geometry - how many inches long is the radius of the largest circle that can fit...
- algebra - a 38 inch piece of steels is cut into three pieces so that the second ...