Posted by Dominique on Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 12:25am.
In Harry's attic there are 3 spider webs. The first web is twice as large as the second. The 3rd web is 3 inches larger than the 1st web. The combined width of the 3 webs is 1 foot and 6 inches. How long is each web?
Please provide explanation along with answer. Thank you in advance.
- 3rd grade Math - PsyDAG, Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 12:12pm
The original data is given in terms of area, but the width is not in the same units.
If area 1 = x, then area 2 = 2x and area 3 = x + 3.
If the total area = 18 square inches, then
x + 2x + x + 2 = 18
Then you can solve for x.
4x + 2 = 18
4x = 16
x = 4
- 3rd grade Math - helper, Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 12:18pm
I'll answer since this is unanswered, but, I don't think this is how a third grade student is expected to do this problem.
w = width of web
w = size in inches of the 2nd web
2w = size in inches of the 1st web
2w + 3 = size in inches of the 3rd web
1'6" = 18 inches
w + 2w + (2w + 3 ) = 18
5w + 3 = 18
5w = 15
w = 3
1st web = 3 inches
2nd web = 6 inches
3rd web = 9 inches
Total combined width = 18 inches
- 3rd grade Math - Reiny, Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 12:46pm
I would be very interested to learn how a grade 3 teacher would handle this type of question without relying on algebraic methods such as shown above by
PsyDAG and helper.
This sure looks like some fancy advanced grade 3 stuff.
- 3rd grade Math - Elizabeth, Monday, January 10, 2011 at 5:32pm
what is symmetry
- 3rd grade Math - Anonymous, Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 3:55pm
- 3rd grade Math - taylor , Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 8:57pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - There are 3 spider webs. The 1st web is twice as large as the second web...
- probl;em solving - in harry's attic there are three spider webs. the first web ...
- math - In Harry's attic there are three spider webs. The first web is twice as ...
- San Sebastián - In Harry's attic there are. Three spider webs.the first web is ...
- math - The 1st web is twice as larger the 2nd web and the 3rd web is 3in longer ...
- Physics - A small fly of mass 0.26 is caught in a spider's web. The web vibrates...
- Planning - What is the difference between Web 1.0 and Web 2.0? Web 1.0 is about ...
- Biology - Can anyone help me with this one question that I'm stumped on? The ...
- physics - A small fly of mass 0.26 g is caught in a spider's web. The web ...
- English - Please Help If I get information from one web site and that web site...