Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 7:41pm.
In Egypt, the Great Pyramids of Giza face slightly east of true north. Explain why the pyramids might not line up with true north as builders likely intended. Assume that the builders 4500 years ago could determine directions accurately.
I tried searching internet for this question, but didn't come up with anything. Does this have anything to do with the continental drift theory?
Dynamic Earth - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 7:53pm
Check this site for an explanation.
Dynamic Earth - Damon, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 7:56pm
The rotational axis of earth precesses
...The direction of true north is marked in the skies by the north celestial pole. For most practical purposes, this is the position of Polaris. However, due to the precession of the Earth's axis, true north rotates in an arc that takes approximately 25,000 years to complete. In 2102 Polaris will make its closest approach to the celestial north pole. 5,000 years ago, the closest star to the celestial north pole was Thuban
Dynamic Earth - Damon, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 7:57pm
That is the magnetic pole Ms Sue.
Dynamic Earth - Damon, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 8:06pm
The critical statement is this:
"....5,000 years ago, the closest star to the celestial north pole was Thuban ... "
Now of curse it should point close to Polaris
Dynamic Earth - Anonymous, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 8:09pm
The pyrmaids might not line up with true north as builders likely intended because the north magnetic pole is geographically the south magnetic pole.
Dynamic Earth - Anonymous, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 8:10pm
Oh Ok. I was getting confused before, thanks.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Social Studies (MAPS) - grid north is west of true north by 0 degrees, 57 ...
- Social studies - What does "the Pyramids" refer to in Egypt? How many pyramids ...
- cardinal directions - what is the difference between Northeast and North of East...
- Physics - The builders of the Great Pyramids of Egypt are thought to have used ...
- Art History, college - Q:The Old Kingdom, or Old Dynasty, of Egypt is considered...
- Social Studies - Which of the following statements about Egypt is correct? A. ...
- physics - The builders of the pyramids used a long ramp to lift 20000-kg (20-ton...
- physics - Believe it or not, a plumb-bob does not hang exactly along a line ...
- Social Studies - Which ones are true? a) Some people in northern Chad are ...
- history - where in North America did the mound builders live? A. in the ...