Posted by Ann on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 5:29pm.
How many odd four-digit numbers, all of the digit different can be formed from the digits 0 to 7, if there must be a 4 in the number?
There are four options for the last digit (1, 3, 5, or 7). One of the other three digits only has 1 option (for the 4). One of the other remaining digits will have 6 options and the final digit will have 5 options (because they can't repeat the first two) Therefore, the answer is:
I do not have much confidence in my answer. Could someone please tell me if I did this right? Thanks for your help.
- Math - Reiny, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 6:05pm
The "4" could be in
the first place,
the 2nd place, or
the 3rd place
so you could have 4 _ _ (odd)
_ 4 _ (odd)
_ _ 4 (odd)
the first of these could be done
1 x 5 x 4 x 4 = 80
5 x 1 x 4 x 4 = 80
5 x 4 x 1 x 4 = 80
for a total of 240
explanation of the first case:
1. fill in the 4 possiblities to make it odd, at the far right
2. fill in the "4" at the front, 1 way only
3. two digits have now been used up, leaving 5 of the remaining to go in the second spot.
4. three digits have now been used, leaving 4 of the remaining to go in the third spot.
thus : 1x5x4x4
Many of these kind of questions can be easily done by splitting them up into "cases"
- Math - Ann, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 7:36pm
Thanks but I'm stumped on part 3 of the explanation for the first case. We have used up 2 digits when we move on to the second space but didn't we start with 8 digits (0-7) so I don't understand why we aren't left with 6 choices for the second spot (8-2). Please help me understand this.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math (Reiny) - Regarding my question below, when the question talks about digits...
- Math - math puzzle: i am less than 3000. all four digits are odd. all four ...
- Math - Received answer to the following question from Jishka. (2469) Would you ...
- math - how many different positive four-digit integers can be formed if the ...
- Math Help Please - Can you Please explain the answer that I received of 2469? It...
- math-permutuation - a four digit serial number needs to be created using digits ...
- MATH - Need Answer to the Following Please: Using the 9 digits, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...
- Math - i am a four digit number. all of my digits are different. my first digit ...
- math - How many different positive four-digit integers can be formed if the ...
- 4th grade math - Find the mystery number. It is a 4 digit odd number. All the ...