Posted by beth on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 2:01pm.
algebra - Damon, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 2:06pm
Please use parentheses
do you mean
algebra - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 2:19pm
10/8x + 1/8x = 5/8 + x
11/8x = 5/8 + x
11/8x + x = 5/8
19/8x = 5/8
x = (5/8) / (19/8)
x = (5/8)* (8/19)
x = 40/152 = 5/19
algebra - Kay, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 2:52pm
Asuming the problem to be
5/4x + 1/8x = 5/8 + x
(10 + 1) / 8x = (5 + 8x) / 8
ie. 11/ 8x = (8x + 5) / 8
11 = 8x (8x +5) / 8
ie. 11 = 8x ^2 + 5x
We will now have to handle it as a quadratic equation:
8x ^2 + 5x - 11 = 0
Apply the formula to get the roots:
(-b + Sqrt ( b^2 - 4ac) ) / 2a
Hope this clarifies enough!
algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 3:06pm
If you meant
5/(4x) + 1/(8x) = 5/(8+x) then follow Kay's solution
if you meant it the way you typed it, the follow Ms. Sue's way, except I noted an error in her 3rd line, should have been ....
11/8x - x = 5/8
3/8x = 5/8
x = (5/8) / (3/8)
x = (5/8)* (8/3)
x = 40/152 = 5/3
algebra - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 3:35pm
Oops! Thanks for the correction, Reiny.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - I am getting ready to start an Algebra class for the first time and I ...
- SHAY - THE MATH QUESTION IS IT ALGEBRA , PRE ALGEBRA' OR GEOMETRY? Quadriatic ...
- Algebra 1A - How is algebra a useful tool? what concepts investigated in algebra...
- Algebra I - So- im trying to help my little brother out with his Algebra- but ...
- Algebra-still need some help - Homework Help Forum: Algebra Posted by Jena on ...
- algebra 1 - at a certain high school,350 students are taking algebra. the ratio ...
- Algebra - y^2-x-4=0 a)find all x and y intercepts of the graph implied by this ...
- algebra - Is there a site or someone who can help me, im not getting the basic ...
- 7th grade - There are at least 5 more than twice as many students taking algebra...
- algebra 2 - Posted by hellogoodbie on Saturday, January 16, 2010 at 3:24pm. ...