Posted by bob on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 12:09pm.
what is the value of the discriminant x^2-9
- trig - Damon, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 1:40pm
b^2 = 0
-4ac = -4(1)(-9) = 36
b^2-4ac = 36
sqrt (36) is 6
- trig - Kay, Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 9:56pm
Small correction Damon:
the formula is
(-b + sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a
Ans : + sqrt(36) / 2
ie + 6/2 and -6/3
Ans : + 3 and -3
Easier way: Method II
X^2 -9 = 0
X^2 = 9
X = Sqrt(9)
X = 3 or -3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Trigonometry - Help trig question involving discriminant? a)Find the value of ...
- Calculus/pre-trig - Write the formula for the discriminant. State the types of ...
- algebra - What would be the discriminant for this equation: x^2-2x+12=0 How many...
- JAD - For the following equation, state the value of the discriminant and then ...
- trig - use the discriminant to solve for the smallest value of b that would make...
- Algebra Problem - State the value of the discriminant and the number of real ...
- math - Can someone calculate the value of the discriminant of X^2+2x+1=0 I don't...
- Algebra - Find the discriminant and solutions for the following equations. #1) ...
- math - Which statement concerning the equation x^2+2=x is true? Its discriminant...
- Algebra ...Please check this to see if I am corect - For the following equation...