Posted by Marie on Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 9:27pm.
What is the best way to revise this sentence?
Sometimes a purchase doesn't live up to all the things it's advertising says about it.
A. Sometimes a purchase doesn't live up to what it says.
B. Somestimes a purchase doesn't live up to it's advertising.
C. Sometimes a purchase does live up to all the things that it says.
D. Sometimes a purchase doesn't love up to all it's advertising about it?
- English - Writeacher, Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 9:40pm
#1 - None of the sentences are correct because the word should be "its" not "it's" -- the second of which is a contraction meaning "it is."
#2 - Go through all of them and make sure every instance of "it" or "its" makes a clear reference to a noun earlier in the sentence. If it's not clear what "it" is referring to, then that sentence is incorrect.
Please repost and let us know what you think.
- English - Marie, Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 9:49pm
yes they are "it" sorry I put "it's" by accident
- English - Writeacher, Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 9:56pm
A and C are not good because of the word "says." Does the purchase talk?
So -- which is better? B or D?
- English - Marie, Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 10:05pm
I believe D
- English - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 10:14pm
I disagree. B. says the same thing, but in fewer words. The words "about it" are redundant.
- English - Marie, Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 10:16pm
Oh isee what you mean!
- English - Writeacher, Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 10:16pm
Ms. Sue is right. D has wordiness and redundancy in it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. I will have to purchase a new computer 2. I was informed that ...
- Math - A mall has three department stores, J C Penney, Macy’s, and Sears. A ...
- english - 1. I will have to purchase a new computer 2. I was informed that ...
- math - what is the dollar value of ending inventory if there were 17,000 units ...
- English - With plural nouns sometimes you add an S, sometimes and es, sometimes ...
- math - write a system of two equation and use them to solve the following ...
- Math - To determine what effect the salespeople had on purchases, a department ...
- History - On October 20th 1803 the Senate ratified the Louisiana purchase ...
- English - Golding says that the story is about the problem of evil and the ...
- English - I'm still doubting about the true/false activity you corrected ...