Posted by Lesly on Monday, January 3, 2011 at 5:24pm.
Simon and Jimmy had 167 stamps
altogether. Simon gave 4/7 of his stamps to Trina, and Jimmy gave 37 stamps to Trina. Simon and Jimmy had the same number of stamps left. How many stamps did Jimmy have in the beginning?
Please Help ME:
I need a formula
- Math - Reiny, Monday, January 3, 2011 at 5:41pm
let the number of stamps that Simon has be x
then the number of stamps that Jimmy has be 167-x
Simon gives 4/7 of his to Trina, so he has (3/7)x left
Jimmy gives 37 to Trina, so he has 167-x - 37 or 130-x left
but now they have the same
solve : (3/7)x = 130 - x
hint: multiply both sides by 7 etc.
- Math - Anonymous, Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 1:53pm
- Math - Anonymous, Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 7:43pm
Pretty sure it's 76.
- Math - tiny t, Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 9:50pm
Simon started with 91 and Jimmy started with 76. Trina has 89 when it is done.
- Math - Anonymous, Friday, July 17, 2015 at 12:46pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Simon and Jimmy had 167 stamps altogether. Simon gave 4/7 of his stamps ...
- Math - Simon and Leah had Eight stamps. Leah had three times as many stamps as ...
- math - Sam and Jill had 576 stamps in all. Sam gave 1/7 of his stamps to Jill. ...
- math - Sam had a total of 80 foreign stamps and local stamps combined. After ...
- math - Sam had 80 foreign stamps and local stamps. After giving away13of his ...
- math - B had 30% as many stamps as C. C had 125% as many stamps as D. If D gave ...
- aig math - David has 120 stamps. He gave 36 stamps to Maria and some to Alice. ...
- math - in an album, the ratio of the number of local stamps to the number of ...
- nath - Lucy has 80 foreign stamps and 128 Philippine stamps. She seperates the ...
- Algebra - a colection of stamps consist of 2 cent stamps, 8 cent stamps, and 14 ...