Posted by stephen on Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 6:23pm.
A baseball player hits a line drive to center field. As he rounds second base, he heads directly for third, running at 20 ft/sec. How fast is the distance from the rnner to home plate changing when he is halfway to third base?
- hang on - Damon, Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 6:31pm
aargh, did this yesterday, going to look
- math - bobpursley, Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 6:34pm
- oh well, did it again - Damon, Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 6:37pm
h^2 = 90^2 + x^2
h is hypotenuse
x is distance from third
where x = (45-20t) so dx/dt = -20
2 h dh/dt = 2 x dx/dt
dh/dt = (x/h) (-20)
at t = 0, x = 45 and h = 100.6
dh/dt = -8.94
- Thanks Bob - I did it differently yesterday, same answer - Damon, Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 6:41pm
- math - Damon, Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 6:42pm
x^2 = (45-20*t)^2 + 90^2
2 x dx/dt = 2 *(45-20t) (-20)
at x=sqrt(45^2+90^2) when t = 0
2 (100.6) dx/dt = 90*-20
dx/dt = -8.94 ft/s
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - A baseball player hits a line drive to center field. He runs from ...
- Calculus - As a baseball player runs from second to third base, he is going 20 ...
- Physics - A baseball player rounds third base and is heading for home when he is...
- Math (trig) - The distance from home plate to dead center field in a certain ...
- Cal 1 - A trough is 10 ft long and 2.6 ft across the top. Its ends are isosceles...
- physics - A baseball player hits a home run over the left-field fence, which is ...
- math help me! - on he teachers baseball team, they are measuring to put the ...
- Calculus - A Baseball Diamond has the shape of a square with sides 90 feet long...
- Geometry - a baseball diamond is a square wiht 4 right angles and all sides ...
- Math - the distance between any two bases on a baseball diamond is 90 feet.What ...