Posted by Anjan on Friday, December 31, 2010 at 6:36pm.
1. Describe how the magma is generated for volcanoes parallel to a subduction zone.
2. What two factors result in a volcano at a plate boundary?
3. Why are volcanoes found at mid-ocean ridges but not at ocean trenches?
4. What causes a hot spot in the mantle?
5. Explain why hot spot volcanoes appear as volcanic chains in the middle of an oceanic plate.
6. How are the terms “focus” and “epicentre” linked?
7. Draw a graphic organizer to compare the three categories of earthquake: shallow-focus, intermediate-focus, and deep-focus.
8. (a) At what type of plate boundary are deepfocus earthquakes likely to occur?
(b) What causes them?
9. The three largest earthquakes in recorded
history have occurred in subduction zones. How
does the plate tectonic theory explain this?
Consider the processes that occur along all three types of plate boundaries.
10. (a) What are the two main types of seismic waves?
(b) Explain the difference between the two types.
11. Which type of seismic wave travels farthest through Earth? Why?
12. In 2005 and 2006, several major earthquakes occurred in Pakistan and Iran, located to the
north and west of India.
(a) Why does the theory of plate tectonics support the occurrence of earthquakes in these countries?
(b) What type of plate boundary exists near these two countries?
- Science - Writeacher, Friday, December 31, 2010 at 6:42pm
To quote one of our very good math and science tutors: “You will find here at Jiskha that long series of questions, posted with no evidence of effort or thought by the person posting, will not be answered. We will gladly respond to your future questions in which your thoughts are included.”
- Science - Dr Russ, Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 5:07am
You might find this site useful
- Science - salam, Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 6:32pm
Answer this Question
Geological Events - Two factors that result in a volcano at a plate boundary are...
sci - Describe how plate tectonics is related to the formation of volcanoes. · ...
earth science - how is the andean type subduction zone different from the ...
Science - what is the source of the magma that fuels the island arc complex? a. ...
Science - im stuck in some questions in my homework.. thnx in for ur help in ...
Earth Science - Which of the following does NOT occur at a subduction zone? A. ...
Geological Events - Hot spot volcanoes appear as volcanic chains in the middle ...
science - what happens immediately before a volcano erupts ? a) magma collects ...
Earth Science - Which of the following help create volcanoes? plate tectonics ...
Science - Are all of these true? 1. Ocean ridges are not associated with orogeny...