posted by Anjan .
1. Describe the landscape of the ocean floor.
2. (a) What is the Mid-Atlantic Ridge?
(b) What is the relationship between an ocean
ridge and an ocean trench?
3. What new technologies allowed scientists to
confirm that the sea floors are spreading?
4. Hess hypothesized that new sea floor was
produced at ocean ridges.
(a) Why are deep ocean trenches important to
(b) What would happen to the dimensions of
Earth if the sea floor did not descend into
the mantle at ocean trenches?
5. Which layers of Earth are involved in sea-floor
A. crust and core
B. core and mantle
C. crust and asthenosphere
D. lithosphere and asthenosphere
6. (a) List the sources of heat within Earth.
(b) How does this heat contribute to mantle
7. How do convection currents in the mantle
contribute to sea-floor spreading?
8. Why does the sea floor bulge up at a spreading
A. Rising mantle pushes up on the crust.
B. Magma piles up as it rises from the mantle.
C. Heated crust is less dense, so it floats higher.
D. Friction curls up the edges of the crust as it
9. Explain how the magnetic orientation of lava
layers demonstrates reversals of Earth’s
10. Describe how each of the following was used to
argue that the sea floor is spreading.
(a) magnetic reversals
(b) age of rocks
(c) mid-ocean ridges
(d) deep ocean trenches
11. What evidence shows that the rock further from
ocean ridges is older than rock closer to the
12. The colour coding in Figure 4 shows the age of
the sea floor around the Juan de Fuca spreading
(a) Which colour represents the current
location of the spreading ridge?
(b) The white regions indicate rocks with
reversed magnetic polarity. Explain how the
age and polarity of the rock suggests the
ocean floor on either side of the ridge has
(c) In what direction is the sea floor spreading?
How do you know?
To quote one of our very good math and science tutors: “You will find here at Jiskha that long series of questions, posted with no evidence of effort or thought by the person posting, will not be answered. We will gladly respond to your future questions in which your thoughts are included.”
All are wrong