Posted by Anjan on Friday, December 31, 2010 at 6:21pm.
1. Describe the landscape of the ocean floor.
2. (a) What is the Mid-Atlantic Ridge?
(b) What is the relationship between an ocean
ridge and an ocean trench?
3. What new technologies allowed scientists to
confirm that the sea floors are spreading?
4. Hess hypothesized that new sea floor was
produced at ocean ridges.
(a) Why are deep ocean trenches important to
(b) What would happen to the dimensions of
Earth if the sea floor did not descend into
the mantle at ocean trenches?
5. Which layers of Earth are involved in sea-floor
A. crust and core
B. core and mantle
C. crust and asthenosphere
D. lithosphere and asthenosphere
6. (a) List the sources of heat within Earth.
(b) How does this heat contribute to mantle
7. How do convection currents in the mantle
contribute to sea-floor spreading?
8. Why does the sea floor bulge up at a spreading
A. Rising mantle pushes up on the crust.
B. Magma piles up as it rises from the mantle.
C. Heated crust is less dense, so it floats higher.
D. Friction curls up the edges of the crust as it
9. Explain how the magnetic orientation of lava
layers demonstrates reversals of Earth’s
10. Describe how each of the following was used to
argue that the sea floor is spreading.
(a) magnetic reversals
(b) age of rocks
(c) mid-ocean ridges
(d) deep ocean trenches
11. What evidence shows that the rock further from
ocean ridges is older than rock closer to the
12. The colour coding in Figure 4 shows the age of
the sea floor around the Juan de Fuca spreading
(a) Which colour represents the current
location of the spreading ridge?
(b) The white regions indicate rocks with
reversed magnetic polarity. Explain how the
age and polarity of the rock suggests the
ocean floor on either side of the ridge has
(c) In what direction is the sea floor spreading?
How do you know?
- Science - Writeacher, Friday, December 31, 2010 at 6:31pm
To quote one of our very good math and science tutors: “You will find here at Jiskha that long series of questions, posted with no evidence of effort or thought by the person posting, will not be answered. We will gladly respond to your future questions in which your thoughts are included.”
- Science - Mrs. Sue, Monday, November 9, 2015 at 11:50am
All are wrong
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Science - What's the longitude and latitufe for mid-indian ridge? and is the ...
- Science - Which evidence from the sea floor shows that tectonic plates move? a) ...
- Science - Is this true? If not why? Oceanic crust near the mid-ocean ridge is ...
- physics - The deepest section of ocean in the world is the Mariana Trench, ...
- college physics - The deepest section of ocean in the world is the Mariana ...
- science - Which evidence from the sea floor shows that tectonic plates move? A) ...
- Science - Which part of the ocean floor is part of the continuous underwater ...
- Social Studies - 1. What countries/continents are included in the Americas? 2. ...
- Science - What is the relationship among an ocean ridge, a rift, and a divergent...
- Science - 4)What geographic feature marks the last obstacle for Georgia's rivers...