Posted by Bob on Thursday, December 30, 2010 at 11:57pm.
Find the surface area of a right octagonal pyramid with height 2.5 yards, and its base has apothem length 1.5 yards.
- Geometry - Henry, Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 7:54pm
The surface area is equal to the area of the base plus the area of the 8
isosceles triangles on the sides.The base consist of 8 isosceles triangles
A = Ab + A(sides).
Ac = 360/N = 360/8 = 45Deg = central angle.
Base angles = (180 - 45) / 2 = 67.5deg
tan67.5 = h/(b/2) = 1.5/(b/2),
b/2 = 1.5 / tan67.5 = 0.62,
b = 2 * 0.62 = 1.24yds = base of each
Ab = (b*h/2)N = (1.24*1.5/2)8 = 7.44sq
Area of Sides:
Altitude = 2.5*sin67.5 = 2.31YDS.
Area of sides = (b*h/2)N =
(1.24*2.31/2)8 = 11.5 sq. yds.
Surface Area = 7.44 + 11.5 = 18.9 sq yds.
- Geometry - Henry, Sunday, January 2, 2011 at 11:59am
Area of the sides:
The height(altitude) is GIVEN: 2.5 yds.
S = h/sin67.5 = 2.5 / sin67.5 - 2.71
yds = length of each side.
As = (b*h/2)N = (1.24*2.5/2)8 = 12.4sq yds.= Area of sides.
Surface Area = Ab + As = 7.44 + 12.4
= 19.84sq yds.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Find the surface area of a right octagonal pyramid with height 2.5 yards...
- geometry - Pyramid has a base 6 yards X 6yards. Its height is 4 yards. Volume= ...
- geometry - The limestone blocks from which an ancient pyramid was made weigh ...
- GEOMETRY (SA oftriangular pyramid) - Find the surface area of a triangular ...
- math - looking at a square pyramid, if the size of the base remains the same and...
- Geometry - Area - Find the area of a regular hexagon with an apothem 10.4 yards ...
- Math Check my Answers please ? - 1.)if an object is dropped from a height of 144...
- algebra 2 - A landscaper is designing a flower garden in the shape of a ...
- algebra - A landscaper is designing a flower garden in the shape of a trapezoid...
- geometry - a right squarepyramid has a base length of 4cm and heeight of 10cm....