Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 6:30pm.
if the domain is the set of integers, the solution set of x^2 -3x -4<0 is what?
math - Reiny, Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 6:38pm
What your question really asks for is,
"For what values of x does the corresponding parabola
y = x^2 - 3x - 4 fall below the x-axis?"
let's find the x-intercepts ....
x^2 - 3x - 4 = 0
(x-4)(x+1) = 0
x = -1 or x = 4
so the expression is < 0 for -1 < x < 4
(x+1)(x-4) < 0
( x+1 >0 AND x-4<0) OR ( x+1 < 0 AND x-4>0)
( x>-1 and x<4) OR (x<-1 AND x > 4)
x>-1 and x<4 OR (null set)
-1 < x < 4
math - Anonymous, Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 6:42pm
thank you, so anything between -1 and 4 would be my answer? (0,1,2,3)?
math - bobpursley, Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 7:13pm
math - drwls, Monday, December 27, 2010 at 9:28pm
Since your domain is integers, only the integers (0,1,2,3) satisfy the inequality. Otherwise, there would be an infinite number of non-integer solutions between -1 and 4.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 11th grade mths - Please check urgently .I have to submit the assignment A give ...
- Maths(please check urgently - Please check urgently .I have to submit the ...
- Maths - A give an example of a function whose domain equals the set of real ...
- Math - The average of a set of five different positive integers is 360. The two ...
- math - A set of integers has a sum of 420, and an average of 60. If one of the ...
- math show work please - 1-11/x+30/x^2=0 A.the solution set is ? B.The solution ...
- SAT math - Set M consists of the consecutive integers from -15 to y, inclusive. ...
- SAT prep help - Set M consists of the consecutive integers from -15 to y, ...
- Math - The least integer of a set of consecutive integers is -25 if the sum of ...
- Math - The least integer of a set of consecutive integers is -48. if the sum of ...