Posted by Kim on Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 4:39pm.
The decomposition of ehtane, C_2H_6, is a first-order reaction. It is found that it takes 212seconds to decompose 0.00839M C_2H_6 to 0.00768M.
A. How long in minutes will it take to decompose ethane so that 27% remain
B. What percentage of ethane is decomposed after 22minutes?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 4:50pm
ln(No/N) = kt
Substitute 0.00839 for No
0.00768 for N and calculate k. Then you can use the same formula for A and B after finding k.
A. I suggest using 100 for No and 27 for N.
B. I suggest using 100 for No, substitute for k and t and solve for N. If you start with 100 then N will be in percent.
Post your work if you get stuck.
- Chemistry - Kim, Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 5:11pm
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 5:23pm
I don't obtain k = your number
k = ??
- Chemistry - Kim, Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 5:28pm
The K comes from dividing it by 212seconds
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 6:06pm
I guess it would help if I keyed in the right numbers. The answer to A is OK. I think 27% usually is understood to means 27.0%; however, if it really is 27% then 53% is the right answer; otherwise you would be allowed another s.f. and you could write 52.3 min.
B. Look at B again. If you are using k in seconds, shouldn't you convert k to minutes OR convert 22 min to seconds? You must have done so because the numbers you have don't give 42% but 42% is correct.
- Chemistry - Kim, Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 8:32pm
I converted 22 min into second
-lnx= 4.17E-4 *1320seconds -ln100
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 8:51pm
I thought that's what you did but you didn't type it that way the first time. 42%, to two s.f., is correct.
- Chemistry - Chem , Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 9:09pm
Thank you for you help
- Chemistry - Cam, Monday, January 28, 2013 at 9:01pm
for the same question:
what is the rate of decomposition (in mol/L*hr) when C2H6= 0.00422 M?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - If the half-life of a first-order decomposition reaction is 24.2 ...
- Chemistry - In a first order decomposition reaction, 50% of a compound ...
- chemistry - N2O undergoes thermal decomposition at 730°C to nitrogen (N2) and ...
- Chemistry - At 573 K, gaseous NO2(g) decomposes, forming NO(g) and O2(g). If a ...
- Chemistry - Time, (min): 0 10 20 30 Moles,(trans): 1.00 0.90 0.81 0.73 Given the...
- chemistry - A reaction is first order and it takes 324 minutes for the reaction ...
- Chemistry - Acetone is one of the most important solvents in organic chemistry, ...
- chemistry - The reaction A to products is first order in A. 1.) If 2.00 g A is ...
- chemistry - a reaction is first order and it takes 324 minutes for the reaction ...
- Chemistry - The decomposition of IBr(g)into I2 (g) and Br2 (g) is first order in...