Posted by Suzanne on Monday, December 20, 2010 at 2:59pm.
Hello, I need did a subtraction problem with mixed numbers by converting the LCD of the denominator.
However, when I went to Algebra.help they did the problem by converting the mixed problem to an improper fraction and then worked it that way.
However, I know that the answers should be the same.
Please check my method. I don't want to convert the whole numbers to mixed.
9 10/12 minus 5 6/7
9 70/84 minus 5 72/84
equals 4 2/84
reduced to 4 1/42
Algebra help say the answer is:
- methods of sbtracting mixed fractions - Ms. Sue, Monday, December 20, 2010 at 3:08pm
Your algebra help is correct.
Your problem is in your second step. You can't take 72 from 70. Therefore, you need to change 9 70/84 to 8 154/84.
8 154/84 - 5 72/84 = 3 82/84 = 3 41/42
- methods of sbtracting mixed fractions - Suzanne, Monday, December 20, 2010 at 6:06pm
How did you change 9 70/84 to 8 154/84?
- methods of sbtracting mixed fractions - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 4:29pm
Subtract 1 frp, 9 and add to the fraction.
1 = 84/84
- methods of sbtracting mixed fractions - Nat, Monday, May 2, 2011 at 8:08pm
23/6 convert to a mix number
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- basic math - In my book A bread piece calls for 3 1/4 cups of flour if you only ...
- 5th grade - We are working on Fractions, mixed numbers and decimals. the problem...
- math(adding mixed fractions) - please help me with (addition mixed fractions)i ...
- intermidiate alegbra - converting to LCD 3/4b^-9, 2/2b+3, -5/2b^-3b that sign ...
- 6th grade math - Use the numbers 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 to write a subtraction problem...
- math - Fractions and mixed numbers are often used in everyday life. Discuss a ...
- math,algebra - how do you solve this problem 3 and 1/3 subtracted by 1 and 2/3? ...
- Math Fractions - Posted by Mary Mac on Friday, May 9, 2008 at 10:01am. I have ...
- Algebra 1-Fractions - Or, eliminating fractions, I should say. So, I need some ...
- Math/Fractions - I have this fraction: 6 2/9 + 1 3/4 - 3 5/6= Okay First I ...