Posted by Cliff on Monday, December 13, 2010 at 10:45pm.
I'm trying to solve some chemistry problems, like the ones my teacher says will appear on our exams.
The problem reads like this:
What is the hydrogen conentration in a bleach sample that register 9.55 using a pH meter?
Since this sample register a 9.55 on a pH meter,it occurs to me that this sample is basic, and I can use the formula:
pOH = -log (H^+), to solve for (OH^-)
From here I thought,maybe if I substitute that result into the equation pH + pOH = 14, I might arrive at the answer I'm looking for; which is 0 000 000 000 35 M.
pH + 0.980 = 14
pH = 13.02
Evidently I took the wrong approach.
Can you help me with this problem?
Have a Great Night
- Chemistry - pranav, Monday, December 13, 2010 at 11:04pm
i did not exactly get that answer... but i still think this will helps. i did 10^pH formula. i got 2.818 x 10^-10 as my naswer. i toke that and divided it by the molar mass of blaech. i got the answer 3.78 x 10^12... which is simalr to your answer
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, December 13, 2010 at 11:12pm
I think you are trying to make this far more difficult that it is. Also, I think your prof gave you the wrong answer (or you've state something wrong or copied something wrong).
if pH = 9.55, then
pH = -log(H^+)
9.55 = -log)H^+)
-9.55 = log(H^+)
(H^+) = 2.82E-9M
(the OH^- is 3.5E-5M
(You should know your answer of pH = 13.02 isn't right. the PROBLEM states pH = 9.55 and not 13.02.
By the way, pOH = -log(OH^-), not what you wrote above.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, December 13, 2010 at 11:17pm
And my problem is I can't read my calculator. For pH = 9.55, (H^+) = 2.82E-10.
- Chemistry - Cliff, Tuesday, December 14, 2010 at 12:18am
I submitted an incorrect answer to that problem. The correct answer is 0.000 000 000 28 M. I apolgise.
I've been sleep deprived.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, December 14, 2010 at 12:52am
So the answer 2.8E-10 is correct. I should have rounded that last two out of the number and didn't.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry class - i have a Chemistry lab (level 2) final exam soon. our teacher ...
- chemistry - Hi ! Could you please help me to see through this problem. *I know ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the mass in grams of the undiluted bleach that was in the ...
- Chemistry - why do hydrogen peroxide and bleach react like they do, and how is ...
- math - So I've been having trouble solving some problems. Mainly problems that ...
- Chemistry - I am completely lost in chemistry. Everything the teacher says ...
- Math: is it? is it not? - Is this math problem hard? - There are 12 brothers ...
- Algebra - Hey! I like math,but this year I'm doing algebra 1 and am not doing so...
- response - the problem reads out like this -3/5m= -45 there trying to find m
- Math - How do you solve 4-5x=3+x? I've been able to do other problems like this...