Posted by SKipper on Monday, December 13, 2010 at 10:18pm.
given ab and its midpoint m. the coordinates of a are (-10,-3) and the coordinates of M are (-4,-1)
a. find the coordinates of B.
b. find the slope of am. c. find the slope that is perpendicular
d. find the slope that is parallel
e . write the equation of AM
answers. please check?
b. slope of am is 1/3
plug in (-4,-1)
slope algebra - Reiny, Monday, December 13, 2010 at 10:58pm
let B(x,y) be the other point
we know how to get the midpoint
(x - 10)/2 = -4
x-10 = -8
x = 2
(y+3)/2 = -1
y+3 = -2
y = -5
coordinates of B are (2,-5)
b) since the slope should be the same for BM , AB, and AM
I will use the original values
slope BM = -4/6 = -2/3
(you will get the same answer for the others, don't know how you got 1/3)
c) the slope of the perp. must be +3/2
d) slope of parallel is -2/3
e) since you slope is wrong, your answer is obviously wrong
y = (-2/3)x + b
(-4,-1) on it
-1 = (-2/3)(-4) + b
-1 = 8/3 + b
b = -11/3
y = (-2/3)x - 11/3
BTW , you subbed the -4 in for the b instead of the x in your solution.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- pre calculus - Question 1: Explain why the equation of the line y=5 has a slope ...
- algebra - Find the slope of the line through the given points. (2,4) (6,-3). m=...
- math - find the equation (in slope intercept form) of the line with the given ...
- geometry - prove: the segment joining the midpoints of the two sides of a ...
- geometry - the coordinate of p are (-2,5) and the coordinates of q are (6,1). a....
- math - how do i find the slope of line AB if A`s coordinates are(-4,3) and B`s ...
- calculus - 1. Given the curve a. Find an expression for the slope of the curve ...
- Math - I am really not understanding how to find the slope. I have a graph with ...
- Algebra - Not sure on a few of my answers, can you help? 1. Find the slope and y...
- Graph problems!!! - Ok. so i'm supposed to find the coordinates of a line using ...