Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 9:17pm.
What role did art play in the religious conflict of the sixteenth-century? What were the positions of the Protestant Reformers and Catholic Church on the use and efficacy of art? how did the image debate influenced the succeeding period – the Baroque?
I'm trying to write a paper and need more details than what I currently have.
Please don't post links to google, wikipedia, I could do that myself
- art - Writeacher, Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 9:27pm
Keep in mind one rather general thing. This is a guideline to keep in mind, but I'm stating it quite simplistically! If you decide to use this idea, you'll need to back it up with lots and LOTS of examples.
During medieval times, art (paintings, sculpture, etc.) was used primarily for religious reasons in Europe -- and of course, "religious" means the Catholic Church.
What marks the Renaissance in Europe is the moving away from heavy dependence on religion for artistic subjects and reasons for existence to more secular and pre-Christian subjects, no matter which medium.
Two men who were caught in the transition, in a way:
Leonardo da Vinci
- art - Writeacher, Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 9:46pm
PS -- All that pretty much coincided with Gutenberg's invention, the printing press, and its incredible effects on European countries and their societies.
For one thing, more and more everyday people became literate and could read and interpret the Bible for themselves. This alone had quite a number of effects!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- art - One of the primary consequences of the Council of Trent in art and ...
- social studies - compare sixteenth-century Catholic Church and Protestant ...
- Art - Art to inspire hope is called A.spiritual art. B.watercolor art. C....
- Art - Which exhibit would be the least likely choice for a museum s specializing...
- Western Civilization - need a good simple to understand resource to explain why ...
- Art and Design/ History - How did the first world war play an important role in...
- art history - without useing a museum art become a investigative journalist ...
- World history; Check:P - Renaissance Assignment What was the attitude of Church ...
- Art/English-citations - How would i shorten the following citation for ...
- MS SUE I NEED HELP - COMPARE 16TH CENTURY CATHOLIC CHURCH AND PROTESTANT BELIEFS...