Posted by olav on Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 9:10am.
Trapezoid ABCD, top AD and bottom BC are parallel. AD is the smaller of the two parallel lines. Left AB is 45, bottom BC is 60, right CD is 30, top AD is unknown.
Trapezoid EFGH is similar to ABCD, top EH and bottom FG are parallel. EH is the smaller of the two parallel lines. Top EH is 10, other sides are unknown.
Area of ABCD is 9 times larger than EFGH.
What is the perimeter of EFGH ?
- grade 9 math - Reiny, Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 9:44am
The areas of similar figures are proportional to the square of their corresponding sides
since the areas are in the ratio of 9:1
the sides are in the ratio of 3:1
so AD/EH = 3/1
AD/10 = 3/1
AD = 30
Perimeter of ABCD = 165
Perimeter EFGH/Perimeter ABCD = 1/3
Perimeter EFGH/165 = 1/3
perimeter EFGH = 55
- grade 9 math - olav, Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 10:12am
I am still lost.
How come the areas of similar figures (trapezoids) are proportional to the squeare of their corresponding perimeters.
- grade 9 math - Reiny, Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 10:33am
let me illustrate with an example
consider the right-angled triange with sides 3, 4, and 5
(easy to find areas of right-angles triangles)
a triangle similar is 12, 16, 20 ( I multiplied each side by 4)
area of smaller = (1/2)(3)(4) = 6
area of larger = (1/2)(12)(16) = 96
notice the ratio of their sides = 1:4
ratio of their areas = 6:96 = 1:16 = 1^2 : 4^2
which is the square of their sides.
now look at the perimeters
per of smaller = 3+4+5 = 12
per of larger = 12+16+20 = 48
notice the ratio of perimeters is 12:48 = 1:4
the same as the ratio of sides
Perimeter is a linear relationship
while area is a second degree relationship
Does that help?
- grade 9 math - olav, Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 11:21am
Does this work for all trapezoids ?
Is this true for all similar enclosed figures ?
Can you help me with my other question posted minutes later than this one ?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Trapezoid ABCD, top and bottom are parallel. Left is 45, bottom is 60, ...
- geometry - Lines M and T are parallel with a Transversal line P. [Labeling for ...
- Math - Based on examples she has seen, a child might think that a trapezoid is" ...
- algebra - There are two similar triangles. The angles are: from top to bottom ...
- Calculus - You are given a 60 inch by 30 inch piece of cardboad and asked to ...
- Math - Really stuck on this question not sure where im going wrong a trapezium ...
- geometry - . In the middle of the page, draw an equilateral triangle with 2 inch...
- GEOMETRY HELPPPPP MEEEE PLEASSEEEEE!!! - Find the lengths of the diagonals of ...
- tyndall - 1. In the middle of the page, draw two vertical lines an inch long, an...
- PARALLELOGRAM WRITING A PROOF - given: segment SV is parallel to segment TU and ...