Posted by Amanda on Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 4:09am.
Industrial Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4) may be purchased as 97 % (weight percent solution). Find the concentration of this solution of H2SO4 in units of mg/L. Also find the molarity and normality. Sulfuric Acid (100%) has a specific gravity of 1.839. Assume that the temperature of the solution is 15 degrees Celsius. At 15 degrees Celsius, 1.00 Liter of water weighs 999.103g. Molecular weight of H2SO4 is given to be 98.08 g/mol.
Could anyone please help me out with this problem? I've been finding ways to solve this for hours now but I still cannot find a solution to it. *sigh*
- Chemistry - Dr Russ, Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 8:49am
Perhaps if you post what you have done so far we can see where the problem is.
- Chemistry - Amanda, Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 9:05am
I have computed for the density of the water @ 10deg celcius first. (999.103g/1L = 999.103g/L)
Then I determined the density of the sulfuric acid by using the formula:
spec gravity = Densityh2so4 / Densityh2o
Densityh2so4 = (1.839)(999.103g/L) = 1.837mg/L
Next, I multiplied the Densityh2so4 with 0.97 for the 97% Industrial Sulfuric Acid to get the concentration in terms of mg/L.
Concentration of industrial h2so4 = 1.782 mg/L
Afterwards, Ive computed for the Molarity..
Molarity = (10*%weight*Densityh2so4)/MolecularWeight
M = 0.035 M
Normality = 2*M
= 0.07 N
IS THIS CORRECT? If not, please tell me where i got lost. Hehe. Thanks!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry II - A 12.00 mL sample of sulfuric acid from an automobile battery ...
- Chemistry - Sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is a very diprotic acid. If 0.046 moles of ...
- chemistry - Sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is a very strong diprotic acid. If 0.062 moles...
- Chemistry - Sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is a very strong diprotic acid. If 0.065 moles...
- AP Chemistry - An aqueous sulfuric acid solution containing 571.6 g of H2SO4 per...
- Chemisty - A 25-mL sample of 0.160M solution of NaOH is titrated with 17 mL of ...
- chemistry - this is a really long question. i don't understand how to answer it...
- AP Chem - Sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is a very strong diprotic acid. If 0.054 moles ...
- AP Chemistry - Sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is a very strong diprotic acid. If 0.036 ...
- Chemistry Help....... - Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4) is a strong acid, which ...