Posted by jessie on Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 1:07pm.
which solution has the highest concentration of hydroxide ions?
i know the answer is 7 but why is it seven? would it be different if it said hydronium ions?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 2:16pm
Who told you the correct answer is 7.00? That isn't right.
Reason through it.
Low pH means high pOH (since pH + pOH = 14) and that means high H^+. So for high OH^- we want a high pH which means a low pOH and that is a high OH^-. If you don't like that method, go through and calculate the concn of OH^- for each.
pH = 7.93. pOH = 6.07. OH^- = 8.5E-7
pH = 7.00. pOH = 7.00. OH^- = 1.00E-7
pH = 3.21. pOH = 10.79. OH^- = 1.62E-11
Note that for these three examples I've done, pH 7.93 has a higher OH than the other two, (including pH = 7.00).
- chemistry - jessie, Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 7:49pm
oh, i see, it was a question on my chem test that i got wrong, the answer sheet said 7. this teacher is always giving questions with wrong answers, its very frustrating.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - A student took 100 mL of a solution of Mg(OH)2 and reacted it with ...
- College Chemistry - 1) The concentration of the aluminum ion in a test solution ...
- Chemistry - When HCl(aq) is exactly neutralized by NaOH(aq), the hydrogen ion ...
- Chemistry - I still need help with this problem... Calculate the concentration ...
- science/chemistry - thank you! What is the molar concentration of hydroxide ions...
- Science - 5. You have made the following two solutions: X) hydrogen ion ...
- chemistry - Part A 6.00×10−3 mol of HBr are dissolved in water to make 16....
- chemistry - The concentration of a certain ionic compound in aqueous solution is...
- chemistry - What is the concentration of hydroxide ions in a solution with a pH ...
- Chemistry - Describe the process by which adding potassium hydroxide to a ...