Posted by jessie on Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 1:07pm.
which solution has the highest concentration of hydroxide ions?
i know the answer is 7 but why is it seven? would it be different if it said hydronium ions?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 2:16pm
Who told you the correct answer is 7.00? That isn't right.
Reason through it.
Low pH means high pOH (since pH + pOH = 14) and that means high H^+. So for high OH^- we want a high pH which means a low pOH and that is a high OH^-. If you don't like that method, go through and calculate the concn of OH^- for each.
pH = 7.93. pOH = 6.07. OH^- = 8.5E-7
pH = 7.00. pOH = 7.00. OH^- = 1.00E-7
pH = 3.21. pOH = 10.79. OH^- = 1.62E-11
Note that for these three examples I've done, pH 7.93 has a higher OH than the other two, (including pH = 7.00).
- chemistry - jessie, Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 7:49pm
oh, i see, it was a question on my chem test that i got wrong, the answer sheet said 7. this teacher is always giving questions with wrong answers, its very frustrating.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- CHEM - A concentrated weak acid is best described as which of the following? (a...
- Chemistry - Which solution below has the highest concentration of hydronium ions...
- science - The concentration of hydroxide ions in the antacid, milk of magnesia, ...
- AP Chemistry - Consider the following reaction: PbCl2 + 2 NaOH → Pb(OH)2...
- science - Explain how the concentration of hydronium ions and hydroxide ions are...
- Chemistry - Consider the following reaction: PbCl2 + 2 NaOH -> Pb(OH)2 + 2 ...
- Chemistry 130 - Can someone please help me and let me know if these questions ...
- Science - Which solution below has the highest concentration of hydronium ions? ...
- Chemistry - A concept map was to be created on acids and bases. The concept ...
- chemistry - A student took 100 mL of a solution of Mg(OH)2 and reacted it with ...