Posted by jacob on Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 2:10pm.
what were the steps on mendels experiments with pea plants?
7th grade - Mrs.M, Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 2:28pm
1) Mendel allowed each variety of pea plants to self-pollinate, or self-fertilize, for several generations. This ensured each variety was true-breeding for the trait (which means all offspring will have only one form of the trait). An example: all true-breeding purple pea plants should only produce purple offspring. This step created the parental generation of his experiment, called the P generation (the first two individuals crossed in a breeding experiment).
2) Mendel then cross-pollinated two P gen plants that were different in forms of a trait. In this case, he crossed a true-breeding purple pea plant with a true-breeding white one. The offspring were called the F1, or first filial, generation. He examined these plants, and recorded the number of plants expressing each trait.
3) Mendel's last step was just letting the F1 generation self-pollinate. His offspring were collectively called the second filial (F2) generation. Again, each F2 plant was examined and counted.
7th grade math - makaela tracy, Monday, November 26, 2012 at 4:11pm
what is the area of a figure using pi
7th grade math - makaela tracy, Monday, November 26, 2012 at 4:12pm
what is the area of a figure using pi my teacher is Mrs. shimmer
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- science - what were mendels questions when conducting his pea plant experiment
- Genetics - The question is as follows: The round trait is dominant over ...
- Biology - Mendel crossed two pea plants. One pea plant was homozygous tall (TT) ...
- 6th grade math - liam is planting 30 bean plants and 45 pea plants in his garden...
- Biology - In pea plants the colour of the peas is genetically controlled. Each ...
- biology - A tall pea plants bearing violet flowers is crossed withshort pea ...
- 7th grade science help - 3. Which is a possible genotype of a child of parents ...
- Science - How can two tall pea plants produce a small pea plant
- Science - If T represents the allele for tall pea plants and t represents the ...
- 7th grade - is a pea a fleshy or dry fruit