Posted by Chris on Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 9:58pm.
1. None of the guests (has, have) left.
2. Each of these apples (is, are) ripe.
3.One of my favorite songwriters (is, are) Billy Joel.
4.Some of my cousins (has, have) come to my party.
5.All of the bread (was, were) eaten.
Tell if the indefinite pronoun is singular or plural then choose correct word.
- English - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 10:08pm
The first two are wrong.
The last three are correct.
- English - Chris, Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 10:15pm
- English - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 10:26pm
1. None is singular. None has . . .
2. is correct now.
- English - Chris, Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 10:33pm
Can you please explain how none is singular in sentence #1? I know that all, any, more, most, none, and some may be either singular or plural, depending on their meaning in a sentence.
- English - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 10:51pm
Although I always taught that "none" is singular, apparently in current usage it can be either singular or plural. I still think it's singular in your sentence because it means no one. However, your text materials may consider it plural. Check these sites for more information.
- English - Chris, Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 11:08pm
Thanks that makes since to be now. Let me try a few more that can be either just to make sure I understand.
1.All of the actors (knows, know) their lines.
2. Most of the plants (needs, need) water.
3.Now more of the waiters (seems, seem) busy.
- English - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 11:14pm
I'm glad the status of "none" makes sense to you. This seems to be an example of language rules changing -- and at this time the only "right" answer is the one the editor wants.
Your last answers are correct!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths - three men go to forest with some apples. At night one of them gets up ...
- Math - A bag of five apples contains three ripe apples and two rotten apples. If...
- fractions - Claire cut some apples into eights. She ate all but 17 pieces. how ...
- Math - Cal had 6 comic books. After he gave 1 comic book to each of his cousins...
- MATHS - The storekeeper found that if he removed the apples from his box either ...
- algebra - Sue ate some apples from a bag. She left 20 apples. This is five-...
- math - We have four apples I eat one what fraction shows how many apples are ...
- Math - Little Billy was out trick or treating on Halloween. He had gotten a lot ...
- Trick or Treat - Little Billy was out trick or treating on Halloween. He had ...
- math - your are making apple pie for a school fund raiser you have 4 baskets of ...