Posted by Mack on Monday, December 6, 2010 at 1:28am.
The mean serum cholesterol level in the population of males who do not develop heart disease is known to be 219 mg/100 ml. Suppose you perform a study to investigate whether the mean serum cholesterol levels in males who do develop heart disease is higher than that of the disease-free population. In a sample of 28 men who have heart disease, the sample mean serum cholesterol level is 232 mg/100 ml with a sample standard deviation of 38 mg/100 ml. Perform the appropriate test at the 0.10 level of significance.
a. Ho :
b. Ha :
c. Critical value(s) =
d. Test statistic =
e. Approximate P-value =
Interpret this decision:
- Statistics - Anonymous, Monday, December 6, 2010 at 11:10am
a non-normal population is determined to have a mean of 60 and a standard deviation of 4. Ninety-six percent of all observed values will occur in what range?
- Statistics - PsyDAG, Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 9:47pm
Assume a normal distribution.
Ho: mean = 219 mg/100 ml
Ha: mean ≠ 219 mg/100 ml
c. Z > ± 1.645
Z = (mean1 - mean2)/standard error (SE) of difference between means
SEdiff = √(SEmean1^2 + SEmean2^2)
SEm = SD/√(n-1)
If only one SD is provided, you can use just that to determine SEdiff.
Find table in the back of your statistics text labeled something like "areas under normal distribution" to find the proportion
- Statistics anon. - PsyDAG, Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 9:52pm
First, if you have a question, it is much better to put it in as a separate post in <Post a New Question> rather than attaching it to a previous question, where it is more likely to be overlooked.
If it is not normal, the assumptions applied to a normal distribution will be in error. However, for a normal distribution, this is what you would want.
Mean ± 2.055 SD
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - Experts consider high serum cholesterol levels to be associated ...
- Statistics - The serum cholesterol levels in men aged 18 to 24 are normally ...
- BioStats - An observational study is conducted to investigate the association ...
- biostatistics - 8. The following data were collected in a clinical trial to ...
- Chemistry - 2. [4 points] Serum cholesterol levels were monitored to investigate...
- Statistics - A researcher wants to estimate the mean serum cholesterol level for...
- Statistics - According to one survey, the mean serum cholesterol level for U.S. ...
- statistics - 9) A 95% confidence interval for the true mean cholesterol of adult...
- Pharmacology - dose is 10mg/kg IV for a 100kg patient. level drawn at level 30 ...
- Stats - A researcher wants to estimate the mean serum cholesterol level for ...