Posted by tanya on Saturday, December 4, 2010 at 11:16pm.
Quiz has 6 questions. Each question has five possible answers,
only one of each 5 answers is correct.
If student randomly guesses on all six questions,
what is the probability to answer 2 questions right?
Tip: first, you have to define parameters of Binomial distribution:
n - how many trials/questions do you have
p - probability guessing right answer to each question
x - how many successes do you expect.
Then use Appendix Table or Excel function for Binomial distribution.
- statistic - MathMate, Sunday, December 5, 2010 at 8:54am
Assuming the 6 questions are independent,
p=probability of guessing the right answer (1/5)
x=exactly the number of successes over the 6 questions (2).
Look up the appendix table, or the Excel function to calculate the probability.
Alternatively, use the formula:
P(x) = C(n,x)*px*(1-p)n-x
Where C(n,x) represents the number of combinations of taking n things, x at a time.
- statistic - Mare, Tuesday, October 25, 2011 at 11:48am
- statistic - Anonymous, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 1:39pm
on a test midterm exam each multiple choice question provides five possible answers. what is the probability of randomly guessing three consecutive questions correctly?
- statistic - Anonymous, Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 7:09pm
- statistic - Anonymous, Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 6:27pm
- geology - abrham kussbilo, Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 10:52am
- geology - abrham kussbilo, Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 10:55am
- statistic - abrham kussbilo, Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 10:57am
- statistic - Xu, Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 4:25pm
p(x=4) = binompdf(6, 1/5, 4) = 0.2458
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistic and probability - There are two independent multiple-choice quizzes ...
- Statistic - There are two independent multiple-choice quizzes where quiz 1 has ...
- Math - 10 multiple choice questions each with three possible answers only one of...
- Statistic - A quiz consists of 10 multiple-choice questions. Each question has 5...
- Statistics Algebra 2 - A 10-question multiple choice test has 4 possible ...
- math data management - a multiple choice quiz has 10 questions. each question ...
- Math - There are six true-false questions on a quiz. Not knowing any of the ...
- statistics - A math test consists of 17 multiple choice questions, each with ...
- stat probability - A multiple choice quiz consists of 20 questions, each with 3 ...
- statistics - A multiple choice test has 20 questions with each having 4 possible...