Posted by Mary on Friday, December 3, 2010 at 3:44pm.
Kira has feet of fencing. She will use it to form three sides of a rectangular garden. The fourth side will be along a house and will not need fencing. For the area of the garden to be the maximum, how long should the side opposite the house be?
- math insufficient data - PsyDAG, Friday, December 3, 2010 at 4:04pm
You failed to indicate how many feet of fencing Kira has.
- math - Reiny, Friday, December 3, 2010 at 5:02pm
let the perimeter be P, where P is a constant
let the length be y and the width be x
2x + y = P
y = P - 2x
Area = xy
= x(P-2x) - Px - 2x^2
d(area)/dx = P - 4x
= 0 for a maximum area
4x = P
x = P/4
y = P - P/2 = P/2
So the long side should be half the perimeter, and the short side whould be a quarter of the perimeter.
- math - fatou, Friday, December 3, 2010 at 8:19pm
i need help with my math homework
- math - Anonymous, Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 11:21am
if the perimeter of a rectangle is 184cm and the width is 39cm calculate its length
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra and Trig - Aldo has feet of fencing. He will use it to form three sides ...
- Polynomials and quadratic application - I want to make a rectangular garden by ...
- Maath:) - Sam is going to plant a rectangular flower garden next to his house. ...
- math - a rectangular garden with an area of 2112 square feet is to be located ...
- College math/bus calc - A rectangular-shaped garden has one side along the side ...
- Math: Word Problem - A security fence encloses a rectangular are on one side of ...
- word problem? - A rectangular lot is to be bounded by a fence on three sides adn...
- math - dale have decided to fence off the garden plot behind his house, using ...
- algebra 1 - Charles wants to build a vegetable garden such that three sides of ...
- MATH 11 help PLease! - A rectangular garden is made at the side of the house. ...