Posted by mariel on Friday, December 3, 2010 at 2:41am.
a light string 4 meters long is wrapped around a solid cylindrical spool with a radius of 0.075 m and a mass of .5 kg.a 5kg mass is then attached to the end of the string, causing the string to unwind from the spool. a. what is the angular acceleration of the spool? b. how fast will the spool be rotating after all of the string has unwound?
- physics - drwls, Friday, December 3, 2010 at 5:59am
You will need to calculate the moment of inertia of the spool, which is
I = (1/2)M R^2 = (0.5)(0.5 kg)(.075m)^2
= 1.406*10^-3 kg m^2
The mass m on a string applies a torque of
T = m g R = 5*9.8*.075 = 3.675 N-m
(a) Angular acceleration of the spool is
(alpha) = T/I
Compute the number, in radians/s^2
(b) The angle rotated through when the string is fully unwound is
theta = L/(2 pi R)
The time t to unwind is given by
theta = (1/2)*(alpha)*T^2
Solve for T and then compute the angular velocity at that time:
w = alpha*T
- physics - chffvhcjf, Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 4:26pm
- math - Saira, Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 12:15pm
A spool has a radius of 5cm . A string is 8.8 m long. How many times can the string be wound around the spool?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A string is wound around a solid cylindrical spool of mass 9.7 kg and ...
- Physics - Use conservation of energy to determine the angular speed of the spool...
- Physics: HELP PLS - The speed of a wave in a string is given by v = Ö(FT/m), ...
- physcs - A string is wrapped around a uniform solid cylinder of radius 3.10 cm, ...
- physics - A top is a toy that is made to spin on its pointed end by pulling on a...
- physics - A 3.6 -kg mass attached to the end of a string swings in a vertical ...
- Physics - A massless string is wrapped around a cylinder of mass 0.400 kg and ...
- physics - A string is wrapped around a uniform disk of mass M = 1.6 kg and ...
- Physics - A 3.21 kg mass attached to a light string rotates on a horizontal, ...
- Physics C: Mechanics - A 1.00 kg mass is attached to a string wrapped around a ...