Posted by K on Monday, November 29, 2010 at 2:44am.
I asked this question on last thursday and u told me that the bottom limit for the 1st and the right limit for the 2nd area is missing? The question that i posted had no other information and i dont know why you said that the limits are missing. There is no other limits that are givin in this question. Does this question even have a limit? I dont know. I'm very confused now. I need help on this question. Please Help. Thank you.
Q. Suppose that 0 < c < pi/2. For what value of c is the area of the region enclosed by the curves y = cos x, y = cos(x - c), and x = 0 equal to the area of the region enclosed by the curves y = cos(x - c), x = pi, and y = 0?
- Calculus - MathMate Please help - MathMate, Monday, November 29, 2010 at 9:01am
Thank you for reposting.
I must have misinterpreted the question, but a sketch of the curves made it crystal clear:
We have two distinct areas enclosed by:
1. cos(x), cos(x-c),and x=0
2. cos(x-c), cos(x) and x=π
The y=0 in the second area is extraneous and misleading for someone (like me) who hasn't taken the time to make a proper sketch.
Now for the limits for each of the areas,
1. from -π+c/2 to x=0
2. from c/2 to π
We are able to find the limits because of the symmetry of the curves cos(x) and cos(x-c).
Finally, the integrals:
Hope this will get you along the way.
Hint: integrate and find each of the areas, equate the two areas and solve for c [if necessary].
- Calculus - MathMate Please help - K, Monday, November 29, 2010 at 3:10pm
Thank You. I think i got the idea. i will try to solve it.
- Calculus - MathMate Please help - K, Monday, November 29, 2010 at 6:35pm
I got two areas but i cant solve it for c because they cancel each others out!!!
the integral for the first one i got is [sin(c)cos(x)-cos(c)sin(x)+sin(x)+c]
the integral for the 2nd one i got is [-sin(c)cos(x)+cos(c)sin(x)-sin(x)+c]
I dont know what to do from here. can u pleses help???
Answer this Question
- calculus help please - hi what is lim as x reaches one of the function x/LN(x) ...
- Calculus - HELP....last question SOS HELP Consider the statement lim X-->1 X...
- calculus - lim (x^3-1)/(x^3+2x^2y+xy^2-x^2-2xy-y^2) (x,y)->(1,0) my question ...
- Calculus - Is this the right explanation for this question 1. Examine the ...
- calculus!!! please help!!! - f(x)=2x^3-x^2+1 [1,4]=interval Set up the limit ...
- calculus verify answer - Evaluate the limit: Limit as x approaches 6 from the ...
- Calculus - Could someone please help me with these questions;I was having ...
- Calculus - I have two similar problems that I need help completing. Please show ...
- Calculus - Hi! My question is: Given that f is a function defined by f(x) = (2x...
- Calculus; Limits - Evaluate limit, x -> a, [(x + 4a)^2 - 25a^2] / [x - a] My ...