Posted by JAZZY on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 9:55am.
A rectangle has length & width in the ratio of 3:2.If the length is increased by 8 & width is increased by 50%.The ratio of new perimeter to original perimeter is 8:5.Find the area of new rectangle
- maths - Reiny, Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 11:44am
let the length be 3x and
let the width be 2x
new length = 3x + 8
new width = 1.5(2x) = 3x
original perimeter = 2(3x) + 2(2x) = 10x
new perimeter = 2(3x+8)+ 2(3x)
= 12x + 16
(12x+16)/(10x) = 8/5
80x = 60x + 80
20x = 80
x = 40
so new length = 3(40)+8 = 128
new width = 3(40) = 120
new area = 128x120 = 15360
use the suitable units, you gave none.
- error - maths - Reiny, Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 12:34pm
"20x = 80
x = 40 "
How silly of me ! , that should have been
x = 4
so new rectangle is 20 by 12 for an area of 240
- maths - brelan, Monday, April 7, 2014 at 2:58pm
5yd 6yd u
Answer this Question
- Maths - A rectangle has legth & width in the ratio of 3:2.If the length is ...
- maths - the length of a rectangle is 3 less than 5 times its width. Write a ...
- Math - Determine the perimeter and area of a rectangle that has a width of 6 ...
- Algebra - The width of a rectangle is 1/6 the length. If the length and the ...
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...
- basic geometry - A rectangle has width the same asa a side of a square whose ...
- alegbra1 - The length of a rectangle is twice the width. If the length is ...
- algebra - Perimeter of a rectangle. The width of a rectangle is three fourths of...
- algebra - The width of a rectangle is three fourths the length. The perimeter of...
- math - a rectangle is twice as long as it is wide. if both of its dimensions are...