Posted by JAZZY on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 9:15am.
A rectangle has legth & width in the ratio of 3:2.If the length is increased by 8 & width is increased by 50%.The ratio of new perimeter to origial perimeter is 8:5.Find the area of new rectangle.
Maths - drwls, Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 9:39am
Your period after 50% should be a comma.
Let the old length and width be a and b, and the new values A and B
a = (3/2)b
A = B + 8
B = 1.5 b
A+B = (8/5)(a+b)
You need to solve four equations in four unknowns. Once you get A and B, the area is A*B
a + b = (5/2)b
A + B = 2B +8
A + B = (8/5)(a+b)
2B +8 = (8/5)(a+b) = 4 b
B = 2b -4 = (3/2)b
0.5b = 4
b = 8
a = (3/2)b = 12
A = B +8 = 20
B = A -8 = 12
A*B = 240 is the new area
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths - A rectangle has length & width in the ratio of 3:2.If the length is ...
- maths - the length of a rectangle is 3 less than 5 times its width. Write a ...
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...
- Math - Determine the perimeter and area of a rectangle that has a width of 6 ...
- math - The length of a rectangle is twice the width. If the length is increased ...
- Algebra - The width of a rectangle is three fourths of the length. The perimeter...
- algebra1 - The length of a rectangle is twice the width. If the length is ...
- basic geometry - A rectangle has width the same asa a side of a square whose ...
- algerbra - the length of a rectangle is one foot more than twice its width. If ...
- algebra - Perimeter of a rectangle. The width of a rectangle is three fourths of...