Posted by Chelsea on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 8:57pm.
A certain clock has a minute hand that is 4 inches long and an hour hand is 3 inches long. How fast is the distance between the tips of the hands changing at 9:00?
- calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 10:09pm
let Ø be the angle between them
the angular velocity of the minute hand = 2π/60 rad/min = π/30 rad/min
the angular velicity of the hour hand = 2π/(12(60)) or π/360 rad/min
so dØ/dt = (π/30 - π.360) rad/min
= 11π/360 rad/min
let the distance between the tips be x inches
by Cosine Law
x^2 = 16 + 9 - 2(4)(3)cosØ
2x dx/dt = 24sinØ dØ/dt
when the time is 9:00, Ø = 90° and x = 5
10dx/dt = 24sin90° (11π/360)
x = 24(1)(11π/360)/10
= .2304 inches/min
- calculus - Connor, Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 1:24pm
this is wrong
- calculus - Connor, Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 4:28pm
This is right
- calculus - john, Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 7:37pm
this is wrong, right answer is 4.4pi in/h
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - A certain clock has a minute hand that is 4 inches long and an hour ...
- Calculus - On a certain clock the minute hand is 4 inches long and the hour hand...
- math - the hour hand of a clock is 5 inches long and the minute hand is 6 inches...
- Math - The minute hand on a watch is 8mm long and the hour hand is 4mm long. How...
- Calculus 1 - Related Rates: The minute hand on a watch is 9 mm long and the hour...
- pre calc - the hour hand of a clock is 5 inches long and the minute hand is 6 ...
- pre calculus - The minute hand and the hour hand of a clock have lengths inches ...
- math Please HElp - The minute hand on a watch is 7 mm long and the hour hand is ...
- calculus - If the hands on a clocktower's clock are 2ft and 3ft long, how fast ...
- trigonometry - a clock has a dial face of 12 inches radius the minute hand is 9 ...