Posted by Franco on Monday, November 22, 2010 at 10:12am.
Can you please check this paragraph on Frankenstein and the tradition of the Gothic novel. Thank you very much.
1)Gothic novels reached their popularity at the end of 18th century. The adjective “Gothic” was first used in architecture and then applied to literature by Horace Walpole, who subtitled his novel “The Castle of Otranto” “A Gothic Story”.
2)The first Gothic characteristic of Frankenstein is evident in the presence of grotesque elements as it appears, for example, in the description of the monster. He has a yellow skin, dull,watery eyes, and black lips.
3)Another characteristic of the Gothic novel in Frankenstein is the presence of mystery. In the book Mary Shelley never tells the reader how Frankenstein is (was?) really created.
4) The only thing we know about the monster is that Victor used the limbs of dead bodies to create the body of the monster.
5)Another characteristic that is in many Gothic novels is the desolate environment. The story of Frankenstein begins and ends in the arctic ice. In the beginning of the story, Walloon’s ship is surrounded by ice and can’t move.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, November 22, 2010 at 10:41am
1. When you use a word as a noun (as you did with "Gothic" in this sentence), you should really put it in italics rather than in quotation marks. Also, titles and subtitles of books need to be either underlined or in italics. (Italics is preferred now that we are in the age of computers and word processors.)
Gothic novels reached their popularity at the end of 18th century. The adjective Gothic was first used in architecture and then applied to literature by Horace Walpole, who subtitled his novel The Castle of Otranto: A Gothic Story.
2. The first Gothic characteristic of Frankenstein is evident in the presence of grotesque elements; it appears, for example, in the description of the monster. He has yellow skin, black lips, and dull, watery eyes.
comma after "book"
5. delete "that is" (wordy)
Be sure to read carefully and find all the changes I made.
Answer this Question
- English - I am writing an English paper and I was wondering if one is supposed ...
- English - Thank you very much for your corrections. Here are some more sentences...
- English - Can you please check these sentences on Shelleys's Frankenstein? Thank...
- fine arts - please check these: true or false- A minaret was a spiral tower _F A...
- frankenstein - how is frankenstein a good example of a gothic novel?
- English - Which was a key element of the Gothic novel that Mary Shelley set out ...
- English - I'm finding it difficult to check these sentences. Could you please ...
- english - I have to write a thoughtful composition on the following: Gothic ...
- English - Can someone check these questions, please? Thank you in advance In ...
- English - Can you please check if the following questions I need to prepare for ...