Posted by Amy on Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 6:47pm.
Another question about domains and range
how would I find the range of (3x-4)/(6x-1) ? Without using a graph
the domain is x can't be 1/6
What is the range?
- Alegbra - Amy, Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 6:47pm
without using a graph
- Alegbra - Reiny, Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 7:24pm
The range is how high or how low your graph can go
So look at what happens when you use large values of x
e.g. in your mind try x = 100 000
so you would have 299 996/599 999
For all practical purposes this is 3/6 or 1/2, even though you will never reach it.
As a matter of fact try it on your calculator you will get .49999... , in other words, less than 1/2
The larger the value of x, the closer we will get to 1/2
If we try large negative values of x
say, x = -100 000
then our calculation is -300 006/-600 001
which is slightly over .5
so no value of x will produce a y equal to 1/2
so the domain is the set of all real values of y ,except y = .5
(if you try to solve
(3x-4)/(6x-1) = 1/2
6x - 8 = 6x-1
-8 = -1 which is false and a contradiction.
So there is no solution)
- Alegbra - sera, Friday, November 26, 2010 at 11:00am
1. Use a calculator to approximate the square root of 320. Round to three decimal places
Answer this Question
- Math - If f(x)=sin(x) and g(x)=x^2-x+1, find the domain of f(g(x)) and g(f(x)). ...
- Math - HELP PLEASE!!! I'm having some trouble with this question on my Maths hw...
- precalculus check immediately - suppoe f is a function with domain [1,3]and ...
- Algebra (Last Question) - I have - to graph each relation - decide if it is a ...
- algebra - Can someone check my answers please and if Im wrong please explain. 1...
- MAth - how do i find the domain and range of equations? example: f(x)=ab.solute ...
- Algebra - 23. The ___ axis represents the independent variable. X? 21. Name the ...
- Math (pre-calculus) - Hey! I have a domain and range question! I don't remember ...
- algebra - 1 (a) A function passes through the points (0, -5), (1, 0), (2, 7). ...
- alg 1 - Quadratic graphs and their properties: Identify the domain and range of ...