Posted by Dania on Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 12:14pm.
I posted these 2 questions a couple of days ago and although the help I received would have been more appreciated if it didn't come with an underhanded comment, I did see where I made my mistake with the first question, however I would like to know with the second question, how the tutor came up with the answer w^4? What do we do with a positive exponent in the denominator when we bring the negative numerator down to the denominator?
Please see previous question:
Hello, I have two more rational exponent question that I wanted to verify please:
is this correct?
[w^1 / w^-3]
= [w^(1)(-4)/ w ^ (-3)(-4)]
= w^-4 / w^12
= w^12 / w^4
= w^3 / w
Is this right?
Math - drwls, Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 2:41pm
Both are wrong. You seem to have no idea at all how to handle exponents.
The answers are
2x^4 y^-6 and w^4.
- Math - Henry, Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 10:48pm
4x^3y^-2 / 2x^-1y^4 = 2x^3x^1 / y^4y^2=
2x^4 / y^6.
2. W^1 / W^-3 = W^1W^3 = W^4.
1. NEVER leave neg. exponents in your
2. When multiplying, always add the
3. When dividing, subtract the expon.
in the denominator from the exponent in
the numerator and put the results in
the numerator. If the results is neg.,
move it to the denominator as a positive.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I have posted two essays recently and have received no response, one ...
- Comment - I am a freshman in college and this is the first time I have received ...
- To Emma - You've been banned from posting on Jiskha for a couple of days. Twice ...
- Computers - The Romance World Cruise Line provides special gifts for passengers ...
- to Math Mate - I posted a response down below to Math Mates comment I posted ...
- computer graphics - You purchase the latest "must have" computer video game from...
- To debbie: business math - You've posted at least 25 business math questions in ...
- physics - Tarzan wights 820N, swings from a cliff at the end of a 20m vine that ...
- To Ms. Sue - Ms. Sue could you please have a moment to look at all my other ...
- chemistry - couple theory questions i don't quite understand... What is vapor ...